Thursday, April 2, 2009

reality.

reality is; the crucifixion occurred, and it was grotesque. it was brutal, and it was gory. downplaying that, at least for me, isn't an option.

So I ran upon the question lately of "why" churches reinact the Crucifixion...that it seemed "off" to do that. I discussed it with a friend, whose take on is was that the bible DOES tell us, in Jesus' own words, to remember His giving of His life for the remission of our sins. He specifically says to do that through the taking of the Lord's Supper. He said to remember His death (breaking the bread to remember the breaking of His body, and drinking the wine to remember the shedding of His blood... "do this in memory of Me." So, in that sense, it seems pretty clear why Live Crucifixion's are a direct way to honor the Lord, and to hopefully make us all remember the harsh reality of the severe beating, bleeding, and overall terrible death he died for us. As some people have a hard time with the commercialization of Christmas, I have that problem with Easter. I think there's nothing wrong with egg hunts. I will be having one at my house. But at the same time, I believe it's my place as a mom, and a Christian, to spend my day (and LIFE) trying to focus on the true sacrifice, as ugly and painful as that may be. Most people that know me know that I never watched Passion of the Christ movie in it's entirety. Michael and I went to the theater to see it, but when it got to the point that Mary was on her hands and knees mopping up his blood, I had to go throw up, and I didn't go back in. I sat in the car and bawled like a crazy person. It was simply too much to fathom; to know anyone did that at all, much less for ME. I think we NEED to be shocked. We need to get uncomfortable, and we need to remember just what we are celebrating. We attended the Easter service at Wilmar Baptist last year, and it was amazing. Here is the link to my blog I did on it. It left a sick feeling in the pit of your stomach, which is what we deserve... and then some. No, I don't think we should have a miserable day, necessarily, but my goodness, how can we justify not giving glory to Him more than to colored eggs?
I am not all about a hellfire and brimstone preacher, but I didn't teach my nine year old about Jesus with blinders on. She knows very well that you don't "automatically" go to Heaven just because you died. I am a realist, and my child is as well; and that's why I was okay with her accepting Christ last Sunday. I know we have talked with her for hours on end about the realities of our responsibilities, and I am glad I can honestly say she "gets it" at such a young age. Am I sure she will continue to make mistakes? Sure. But I know she is eternally protected by the Grace of God; and I will do my best to make sure that my daughters understand that the option is only there because of a malicious killing on "the place of the skull" and that it's in no way related to Christmas trees or chocolate bunnies.

3 comments:

dean April 2, 2009 at 1:10:00 PM CDT  

one thing's for sure, that is one wise friend that you had that conversation with!

seriously though, there wouldn't have been a resurrection without a death. i think you said this somewhere (in your comment on the original post about why have live crucifixions maybe), but you can't have one without the other.

this may be faulty theology, but i take the two events - the crucifixion and the resurrection - thusly:

on the cross, Jesus paid the penalty for my sins. the cross was PAYMENT. when He rose from the grave, he secured eternal victory over satan. the resurrection was PAYBACK.

may be oversimplification, but it makes it pretty clear for me. so in the week(s) leading up to Easter weekend, yes, i agree the focus should be on what Jesus had to endure for me. i think that's why all the presentations of the crucifixion occur during that time. but come Sunday, it's all about the VICTORY!

ash April 2, 2009 at 1:28:00 PM CDT  

GREAT POST SHELLEY...IF YOUR FRIEND IS WHO I THINK IT IS....HE IS AWESOME!

Shelley April 2, 2009 at 1:29:00 PM CDT  

yeah, Ash, you know who my buddy is :)

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP