Saturday, August 23, 2008

Happy Birthday Karsyn!

Karsyn & Daddy
Tomorrow is my baby's 7th birthday. I think people that have "normal" births don't understand the triumphant feeling we have every year when one of our kids turns one year older. Both my girls were preemies. Jordan was earlier than Karsyn, but Karsyn fared worse in the NICU. I was in the hospital for several weeks at UAMS in preterm labor with her, and the WEEKS of contractions literally wore her out and wreaked havoc on her little body. Once her heart rate dropped to 14, they said enough is enough; we have to induce. So, nine weeks prematurely, Karsyn Makenzie made her appearance. Both my kids were born with their cords around their neck. This was just the beginning of a long way to go... Karsyn was whisked away from me quickly, and I was not allowed to touch or hold her. She was intubated, and drugged with morphine. The morphine was needed because she was moving around so much she kept pulling out her breathing tube that was connected to her ventilator. She was in the hospital (in the NICU) for several weeks. Each time they tried to wean her from the O2, it would not work. She developed BPD. She had apnea of prematurity. She had GERD. One thing after another. A lot of people probably think I was a bad mother because I was not at her bedside day in and day out, but that was because dr's told us NOT to be. Any type of stimulation upset her. She would jerk and move and mess up her tube in her throat. We could not talk to her, or touch her, for a long time, because it simply did not benefit her in the least. Every time she was removed from the incubator, her body heat dropped immediately, and she spit up profusely. It would've been nothing but selfish to keep doing that to her. So we sat there, and we looked at her. It was all we could do. It was a long, dreadful stay.
etc 029
She had wonderful care in the NICU at UAMS. I have not one complaint. I am not the mom that shares NICU photos with everyone. I am posting a couple that I am okay with. My children's first few weeks are very private moments for me, and I just don't put that out there. The people that were and are still closest to me were there, so I am sure they know what I mean. No one needs to see my skinny little sad baby with tubes all over her. My parents and my brother were the only people I let hold her in the NICU. Mike's parents came and visited some, but no one else in his family did. I guess people don't know what to do when it's not a normal situation.... I had friends that came and kept me company, and that was nice.
karsyn3
When she was born, Jordan was 19 months old. This was the first time Jordan had spent any time away from me, and I hated it. I had always been a stay at home mom, and did not like the idea of not having my toddler with me while I had to "live" in UAMS on bedrest. I could not wait to get Karsyn home so I could take care of my girls myself. We never left Jordan anywhere, and it just didn't seem right to me at all. Once we got her home.....Karsyn had colic. BAD. I am a firm believer that colic = BAD BAD reflux. I think the consistent projectile vomiting after EVERY bottle made her feel awful. Once she learned to sit up, that finally got better, and she became a joy to have in my life. Before that.....she was a pill, and I will admit it. Thank goodness for family and Amber Oltmann, for taking their turns with walking her, bouncing her, and rocking her during this!
scan009001
Jordan had always been the perfect baby, thank goodness, so I only had one "bad" one on my hands! Once she got over the colic, they were actually not hard to handle at all. I am a very scheduled mother. They ate, napped, played, EVERYTHING, all on the same schedule.
I am blessed with an awesome husband that took turns getting up at night and making bottles and changing diapers, from day one. He has never been one that I have had to "ask" to watch his kids, even when they were both in diapers.
MemorialDayWeekend 002
Karsyn is so very much her own person, and not a thing like her sister. She is laid back. She loves animals, especially pigs. She has about 20 pigs in her room.

She likes to collect odd rocks, and take walks. She loves to ride her bike, and the 4 wheeler. She is quite proud she taught herself to swim. She is the pickiest eater I know. She used to win a lot of pageants, because she was such a ham.
scan008001
She isn't a kid that easily gives away affection, much unlike her sister. Once she decides she likes you, it's forever. If she doesn't like you from the get go, she probably never will. If you can get a hug outta this kid, you've pulled something off that most can't. Not saying she isn't a loving child, because she is; she just isn't very physical. She is my tough cookie that takes up for her friends at school.... Boy do I have a story about that one. She is Rosjuane's favorite child....
IMG_8889
My brown eyed girl completed our family, and although she was quite a surprise to our marriage, I can't imagine my life without her.
blog

KIDS_MAY2007 001

blog

2IMG_6554
So to happy birthday to you, my youngest child, the pig collector, lover of swings and slides, hater of all food that's good for you, I hope you have a great year in first grade, and most of all, I hope we give you the best childhood any little girl could ever have.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY SPANKY, I LOVE YOU!

11 comments:

Blake August 23, 2008 at 4:52:00 PM CDT  

Happy Birthday Spankster...We love you!

jeremy August 23, 2008 at 5:10:00 PM CDT  

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KARSYN.I'll see you at laynes.

Rosjuane August 23, 2008 at 5:11:00 PM CDT  

Happy birthday KAR_SON (i spelled it that way intentionally)

LOVE
RO JON

Jaime August 23, 2008 at 5:59:00 PM CDT  

HAPPY BIRTHAY KARSYN!!!! I hope you have a wonderful birthday!!!

Jenny Sipes August 23, 2008 at 6:09:00 PM CDT  

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KARSYN!! Hope you have a great day!!

Shelley August 23, 2008 at 6:52:00 PM CDT  

we had a great meal at Layne's, and Jeremy snuck around and got our waiter to bring her ice cream with candle, that she loved :)

Sarah Albin August 23, 2008 at 9:47:00 PM CDT  

Happy Birthday to Karsyn! Hope she gets everything she wants!

dean August 24, 2008 at 6:48:00 AM CDT  

happy belated birthday karsyn (well, your birthday was right on time, the greeting is just belated)... from the weird old guy at mazzio's!

btw shelley, that last part of your post, i could practically hear the "real men of genius" song from the budweiser commercials playing in the background...

Drea August 24, 2008 at 9:15:00 PM CDT  

awe.. wow love all the pics... ur husband looks like a teenager! haha. So funny how men grow and I oddly enough find them older even more attractive. Am I odd?

Happy Birthday Karsyn! Her bday is close to Calebs :-)
His is the 31st..

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP