Monday, July 14, 2008

My Anniversary

since I will be out of commission on my real anniversary, I am going to do my post now. Our 9th wedding anniversary is July 16th.

old couple stuff 030
July 1999
Jul 08
July 2008.
What a difference 9 years makes. I have gone back brunette. He has aquired a grey goatee.
Some stuff I have been asked will be answered in this post.
old couple stuff 003 copyold couple stuff 005 copy
old couple stuff 016old couple stuff 017old couple stuff 015
Yes, I am that person that saves stuff. I have a zillion movie ticket stubs from when Michael and I started dating in 1999. I don't think anything came out that we didn't see. The prices (some as low as $3.75 for a 7 o'clock movie) are crazy. Wish things were still that way.
I started dating Michael in 1998. I was 19. He was 28. The frequently asked question I get about this is whether or not my parents had a fit. The answer is no, they did not. He was such an upgrade from the worthless loser I had dated before him that age was not an issue. My parents have always loved him.
old couple stuff 010

old couple stuff 006
I have also been asked "why July 16th" and that answer is pretty pointless. That date was one that Michael threw out one day when we were at the Lake with friends, and I held him to it. That's why I was married on a Friday night when most people are married on Saturdays.
We were engaged in March, and married that July.

old couple stuff 001
Me, of all people....had NO wedding photographer. I have snapshots, and that's it. I regret that in a huge way. We were married in Wilmar, at Wilmar Baptist Church. My daddy gave me away, Bro Kenny Worbington performed the ceremony, and Destiny Boone was my maid of honor. The best man was my brother in law, Randy. The flower girl is Ashlyn Jones, and the ring bearer is Trey McClain.
old couple stuff 002 copy
This card is funny to be because he was sure to not say "love" in it. Just plain ol' thinking of you and that's it. It's from my 20th birthday. Both of us had been in terrible relationships prior to meeting, and the L word wasn't thrown around loosely.
old couple stuff 029 copy
That was okay, cause I had a man in my life that loved me, just like I do now, my daddy :)
That was in October. By December, he told me he loved me, and to this day he swears it slipped out and he meant to think it, not say it. I think this is hilarious because I had been out to keep him for quite some time. I actually told my guy best friend that I had met the man of my dreams the very night we met. I was just really sneaky about not telling HIM.

old couple stuff 021old couple stuff 020
Our honeymoon was actually just a weekend in Hot Springs. We stayed at the Majestic, which suited me fine because I was on cloud nine and we might as well have been in Hermitage. The location didn't matter at all at the time.
old couple stuff 023
Look at this nice pre baby belly. Flat as a board.
old couple stuff 025

old couple stuff 014
We also took a trip to Branson. I love that I married one of those dorks that takes these kinds of pictures.
old couple stuff 013
oops I had overlooked a pic from the honeymoon, and I have to add it. Why I am taking a picture in the bathtub, I don't know.
old couple stuff 022 copy
Shortly after we married we took a weekend trip to Albert Pike. It was really nice, and I would love to go back. This was the end of our child free life, and kid free vacations.
old couple stuff 026

Angela's WeddingFloat the Buffalo Trip2008MISC 109MISC 041easter_06_etc 004DSC00466 copybw
It quickly became known to us that we were going to be parents really soon. Jordan was born 3 months (12 weeks) prematurely, weighing in at just 3 lbs. 19 months later, Karsyn was born 9 weeks prematurely. Shortly after that I required surgery. It was a rough first three years!
We began our married life in a 1987 trailer that ALL three of the Smith brothers lived in. I could not have been happier to bring my baby home to it.
We later moved to town, and didn't like it. We are back in that very spot the first trailer was in.
old couple stuff 031 copyold couple stuff 032
But now he tells me he loves me without hesitation. In fact he even writes it down on stuff where he knows I will find it.
easter_06_etc 028
So now, 9 years of marriage later, we are a family of 4. A chance meeting on KFC parking lot in Warren is how I met this wonderful man that I am lucky enough to call my husband. Who woulda thought it? (maybe Rosjuane, since she was there, too)

Ro & Brad
and let me throw in, my best friend Rosjuane's anniversary is July 16th as well. Here's a pic from her and Brad's wedding (in Hot Springs)
So head over to her page in a couple days and wish her a good one!

17 comments:

Jennifer July 14, 2008 at 9:20:00 PM CDT  

awwwww!! How sweet!! You two are great together! We've been through rough times in the past, but I'm happy to call you my "Aunt" as weird as that still sounds to both of us!! But even through the hard times we've always came together and we can hold a conversation for hours...ranting, griping, talking good and bad about our wonderful life as parents, and even talk about pretty much nothing sometimes. But we never get bored! I love my Uncle Michael (Dike-el) as meme will tell you I used to say!(he's always been my fav. uncle!!) And I'm glad that he found his soul mate in someone that I can talk to on a daily basis! I love both of ya'll and am thankful to have you in my family!!

Unknown July 14, 2008 at 9:37:00 PM CDT  

My mom and dad were married on July 16. Special day...

karen July 14, 2008 at 10:18:00 PM CDT  

So Cool! What a neat way to celebrate your 9th anniversary! You two are a great looking couple both in '99 and '08!!

(Check your spelling of "married" in the paragraph just above your gold framed wedding photo.)

Sarah Albin July 14, 2008 at 10:56:00 PM CDT  

What a great post! You two just get better with age! Seriously!

ash July 14, 2008 at 11:58:00 PM CDT  

wow what an amazing post! Yall two are an awesome couple.....great role models....im sure times havent always been perfect but it seems to be easy with yall! i have seen yall on your dates to Lanes, out at the ball park with the girls, or just around! Its great to see a couple that can stay together and raise a family through it all! Congrats to you both and i look forward to checking your site and looking at the 25, 50 and so anniversary!!!!

Debbi July 15, 2008 at 7:41:00 AM CDT  

What a great post - I love it for so many reasons - you guys look so young and cute, and I agree with another comment, you guys look cuter by age - no fair the rest of us don't! I love the movie tickets - I Love that you kept them all and the price! Wow, I wish I could get a movie for $3 or $5 now!

Happy Anniversary!

Drea July 15, 2008 at 7:58:00 AM CDT  

what a fun post! I think you all look just as beautiful now as when you got engaged. How fun that you kept all that stuff. I saw all the movies you listed haha.. but I was in high school and saw them w/ girlfriends.

I remember loving shes all that. HAHA!

Freddy Prince Junior was the it thing at that time.

I love you w/ dark hair 2.
more natural.

You all have such a beautfiul family. I love your blog. :-) so glad I got to make it over.. otherwise I would of never started reading it.

Blake July 15, 2008 at 8:04:00 AM CDT  

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that keeps all that kind of stuff that wouldn't matter to anyone else...lol

Hope you have a great anniversary!

The Perry Family July 15, 2008 at 8:57:00 AM CDT  

Congratulations! We went to Hot Springs for the weekend too and stayed at The Arlington. Can't believe you guys met in Warren!

Jenny Sipes July 15, 2008 at 9:19:00 AM CDT  

I love this post!! It is so funny to see how much you and Mike have changed over the years!! Love how you added the grey goatie!! Nice touch! lol

Hope you and Mike have a great anniversary!!

Lou Arnold July 15, 2008 at 9:28:00 AM CDT  

Happy Anniversary. Hope you have a great one.

The Brown's July 15, 2008 at 2:13:00 PM CDT  

Happy Anniversary! You should get to celebrate before and after your surgery. Just because!

Michael July 16, 2008 at 10:26:00 AM CDT  

Happy Anniversary to you and Mike!

So nice to see you happy compared to some of your past.

Those pictures from 1999 remind me of the Shelley I've known for so long. Not the nice, quiet, reserved, and innocent Shelley I know now....... Yeah right! :-)

Anonymous,  July 16, 2008 at 10:49:00 AM CDT  

Happy Anniversary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We used to save our ticket stubs too,they got lost in one of our moves, though.We got engaged in May of 1999 and were married in September,people were calling it a shotgun wedding,you know cause I found out soon enough as well...LOL

Anonymous,  July 16, 2008 at 10:50:00 AM CDT  

BTW,you stomach is still flat girly.;)

Laken July 16, 2008 at 2:44:00 PM CDT  

Happy Anniversary! Such a wonderful story....

Jaime July 16, 2008 at 9:05:00 PM CDT  

Wonderful post. Happy Anniversary! Ours is on the 19th of July!!

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP