Saturday, April 24, 2010

We are HOME!

My daddy is finally home! It took nearly 4 weeks at the VA to accomplish this amazing feat, but he is there.  He goes back in approximately 2 weeks.  I have no idea what the chemo plan is, and wouldn't even want to bring it up at this point!  My plan for months has been to be in Rogers this morning, for another Race for the Cure.  Between the weather, my dad's discharge, and a few other issues, it just wasn't possible.  Rosjuane and I had planned to go and support Kristina's team, but going to Little Rock over twenty times has depleted the extra funds so that contributed to the 'reasons why we are staying home' list as well.  I really hated to miss out on this, because the last race we did, in October, was one that Kristina couldn't attend, so this was going to be the first time that we got to walk with our very own survivor.  I see it says on her facebook that it's storming there this morning :( Yuck!
So, once it's established that I know I can't make the trip to Rogers, I talk to my friend Juana and she tells me all about taking part in the local Relay for Life.  I got a suprise from her after that.  She gets me a relay shirt, and has "In Honor of My Daddy, Robert Reaves" on one sleeve, and on the other, it has "In Memory of John Schaffner" which is her daddy's name.iphone_pic

Juana is that friend that is always thinking "what can I do for you" and it shows.  This was really special to me, and I love it.  Because of the storms here, they moved it inside at Drew Central.  We arrived at 6, and although it was MUGGY and STICKY and HOT in there, it was a great atmosphere.  There were a lot of familiar faces in the Survivor walk.  There were lots of giggles and lots of smiles; some of the teams and their themes were absolutely hilarious.  I also got to walk several laps with Ashton and Kaylee Arnold, which made my night.  I love both of them but Ashton is one of my little favorite kiddos that I accidentally pick out. I don't know why that happens, but it does. They gave Juana and I an excuse to be even louder and sillier so that was awesome.  There were many people there that did a lot of hard work to make the event a success and I think they did great.

I hope today is a nice and calm day. My kids are upstairs building tents from blankets, and I am about to start on some laundry! Before I close this rambling post, I want to add, if it was not for my friend Cara Abbott, my daddy would not be at home.  They *VA* could not get the local Home Health care set up until Monday, so that was going to delay his discharge by FORTY EIGHT more unecessary hours at the hospital!  Cara works for hospice and has worked in home health for a while, so she is going to take care of his needs all weekend, therefore he got to go home.  This is SUCH a blessing. If you see Cara, give her a huge hug and tell her how awesome that was, because it is wonderful for us.  (and no he's not on hospice, if that was confusing!)

1 comments:

mamatucci April 26, 2010 at 12:32:00 AM CDT  

glad your dad got to come home. Sometimes alittle home does alot.

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP