Monday, July 20, 2009

OK, so I did it.

I recently got back from Florida, as most people know. While I was there, I took it as an opportunity to do something I have had planned for quite some time. I got a tattoo to honor my father. A lot of people do memorial tattoos, but this was something I wanted to do as an honor thing, mostly so that he could know it was there. I designed it, and all of it has meaning to me.
iphone_pic
It's the colon/colorectal cancer awareness ribbon. Although the ribbons are important, I have always maintained that ribbons weren't cures... And that we rely hugely on prayer when it comes to my daddy. Because of this, I wanted to work in my other father, the king of kings. This is where the Jesus fish comes into play. And guess what? I had a witnessing opportunity in the TATTOO SHOP. Not one soul in there knew what the Jesus fish was. My tattoo guy says, "so it's like throwin yo Christian gang sign back in the day?" I say yeahhh.... kinda. He thought that was cool. But regardless, we had a good, deep conversation, I got him interested in a message bible, and I really hope he went to dig more on learning His word. (Please don't condemn the message bible here, the only way to get him remotely interested was to talk up one that was "easy" to understand)
So, the ribbon explains itself, the fish is for recognition of who has blessed my family with more days with my daddy, and well, the daddy is, just what he is. MY daddy. He is my strongest ally, the one that always has my back, as does Christ. This is why it's on my back.
If you are anti tattoo, don't comment, because honestly, I don't care what you think. I'm just as saved as the next Christian, tattoos or not. Me and my ink will see you in Heaven.
Just you wait and see.

6 comments:

bowling1 July 20, 2009 at 9:53:00 PM CDT  

VERY, VERY nice piece....something to be very proud of!

karen July 20, 2009 at 10:34:00 PM CDT  

That's great ink, Shelley! I love it. 'So well thought out and designed. The Message is a great way to reach people that would never open a regular Bible translation. By witnessing to that one person, many more may be reach! PTL! "Hi" to your Daddy and Mom from me!

Drea July 21, 2009 at 1:55:00 PM CDT  

tisk tisk tisk, u and ur tattooing, shame shame! :)
haha kidding! ill be with you in heaven with my ink 2. very sweet tattoo.

Sarah Albin July 22, 2009 at 9:18:00 AM CDT  

That's really beautiful! Has your Daddy seen it? I think about and pray for him often. Keep us posted.

Darlene July 26, 2009 at 1:18:00 PM CDT  

Your tattoo is beautiful :)

My youngest daughter had planned to get a tattoo for her birthday, unfortunately she never made it. Her husband, her twin sisters along with her brother-in-law all got a tattoo in her memory on her birthday.

That's what love is all about.

Many blessings to you and your loved ones.

Jennifer July 26, 2009 at 9:18:00 PM CDT  

I love it!! And whoever did it did an excellent job!

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP