Sunday, March 15, 2009

forgiveness.

Nothing worth doing is completed in our lifetime,
Therefore, we are saved by hope.
Nothing true or beautiful or good makes complete sense in any immediate context of history;
Therefore, we are saved by faith.
Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accomplished alone.
Therefore, we are saved by love.
No virtuous act is quite a virtuous from the standpoint of our friend or foe as from our own;
Therefore, we are saved by the final form of love which is forgiveness.
~Reinhold Niebuhr
The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.
~Ghandi
No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
~Voltaire
That's me. I am a snowflake. Surely it isn't MY fault... That can't be it.... Most people close to me know that I have dealt with someone lately that has told monstrous, slanderous lies about me, and that I finally, after keeping my mouth shut for many months, had a large meltdown and said what I wanted to to this person... I wasn't right to do that. But momentarily, it felt REALLLLLY good. Today in church, we talked about handling situations the right way, and letting who we are as Christians show through..hmmm... I blew that one the other day. My human side shined, and my Christian side did not. I do feel like I do better than I used to at this, but that really isn't enough. Just because I lasted a year before this confrontation doesn't make it okay. Being a turn the other cheek, forgiving person is the hardest part about trying to truly be Christ-like. It's my biggest fault. And others LOVE LOVE LOVE to point that out, and leave anonymous comments, and talk behind my back. Most of the time, I honestly don't care, because those that know me, know what's true, and who I am. I am not flawless, but I am honest, and I am real. I will screw up, just like everyone else. Being in church every Sunday doesn't change that, and I have never pretended that it did. But it does create accountability, and I need it. I try every day to be more patient.... It is soooo hard for me. I am a very defensive person at times. (Glad to hear that my Sunday school teacher is, too, haha) I am going to do my best to do better. And I am going to do my best to ignore and avoid people that only want to tear me down to make themselves feel better... I have too much GOOD in my life to let others destroy my happiness; so I REFUSE to let that happen anymore.

2 comments:

dean March 15, 2009 at 11:14:00 PM CDT  

The first thing we are called to do when we think of others as our enemies is to pray for them. This is certainly not easy. It requires discipline to allow those who hate us or those toward whom we have hostile feelings to come into the intimate center of our hearts. People who make our lives difficult and cause us frustration, pain, or even harm are least likely to receive a place in our hearts. Yet every time we overcome this impatience with our opponents and are willing to listen to the cry of those who persecute us, we will recognize them as brothers and sisters too. Praying for our enemies is therefore a real event, the event of reconciliation. ...There is probably no prayer as powerful as the prayer for our enemies. But it is also the most difficult prayer since it is contrary to our impulses.

~ Henri Nouwen

ash March 16, 2009 at 1:35:00 AM CDT  

WOW...AWESOME POST SHELLEY! CONTINUE TO LET GOD GUIDE YOU AND JUST REMEMBER THE MORE YOU DO FOR GOD AND GROW THE MORE THE DEVIL IS GOING TO ATTACK YOU! KEEP LETTING GOD WORK IN YOUR LIFE! NO ONE IS PERFECT AND EVEN WHEN ITS HARD WE GOT TO LOVE THOSE WHO TRY TO MAKE OUR LIFE MISERABLE...YOU ARE A STRONG WOMAN OF GOD AND STAY IN THE WORD AND IN PRAYER AND STAND STRONG IN THIS BATTLE!!! KEEP IT US SHELLEY!!! IM PRAYING FOR YOU!!! AND IM SO PROUD OF YOU BECAUSE YOU HAVE DONE A LOT BETTER THAN YOU WOULD HAVE 10 YEARS AGO...LOL I KNOW YOU GOT SOME FIGHT IN THERE SO KEEP IT IN GIRL...LOL LOVE YOU

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP