Monday, January 5, 2009

hmmm...."family" tv

Why is there a show on ABC Family about a pregnant 15 year old? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a family friendly channel? Yes, I am aware that preggo teenagers are a reality.... but when they advertised this show with the line "from the creators of Seventh Heaven," this is NOT what I expected as a storyline....

Seventh Heaven was cheesy. And unrealistic. And perfectly acceptable for my kids. (Especially since I don't want the tv to be where my kids learn life lessons of certain magnitudes) It was just what you would expect from a channel that calls itself a family channel. The poll on the abc website asks its viewers what they are looking forward to the most:
New hook-ups!

Mama drama!

The Grant High gossip mill!

Family feuds!

hmm....hook ups and baby mama drama. Yeah, ABC, you nailed that one. What a GREAT family show. I can remember when people's parents thought "my so called life" was pushing boundaries. That show had nothing on this one. Whatever happened to shows like Full House, Perfect Strangers, My Two Dads, The Torkelsons, Step By Step, and Wonder Years? THOSE were family shows. Cheesy or not, they were. There's nothing on primetime tv that my kids can watch. Am I the only one that thinks that is crazy? (Yes, I know, kids need more in their lives than a tv. I limit my kids' tv time more than most people. I would just appreciate a good line of corny shows like they used to have on Fridays when I was a kid. Who else misses TGIF???)
abc family's slogan is..."a new kind of family" Yeah well, I prefer the OLD kind. Now I know why the Duggar's don't let their kids watch TV!

7 comments:

Anonymous,  January 5, 2009 at 6:27:00 PM CST  

I recently ordered The Torkelsons/Almost home and my kids do watch it,along with Full House etc.I love LOVE LOVE the older family shows/

As for that show,well,I cant say anything.Unfortunately my kids have already gotten a couple of doses of that in real life.Me,being pregnant at 16-since they are old enough to do the math themselves and of course my niece just recently having a baby herself as well at 16.I dont know about the show,but I do hope our real life instances give them a good dose of the harships that come with that territory.

Shelley January 5, 2009 at 6:42:00 PM CST  

well there's a difference in educating your kids about reality, and it using for entertainment on tv! I just can't believe they can't come up with better storylines for so called family tv channels.

Cassie Burke January 5, 2009 at 7:24:00 PM CST  

I must say,I agree 110% with you, Shelley.It's ridiculous to have such a show on a "family" channel.I remember back when I was a kid looking forward to Friday and TGIF...That was a weekly thing for my family and we always looked forward to that.We were watching tv but we were also enjoying being a family.I remember watch Americas Funniest Home Videos and my kids enjoy that show today! I just wish there were more "family friendly" shows like there were back in the day when I was a kid.

dean January 5, 2009 at 9:07:00 PM CST  

believe it or not, you have pat robertson to thank/blame for all this. he was the founder of the family channel, and then sold it to Fox, with the only stipulations being that they air his 700 Club twice daily, and week-long CBN telethons (thanks, pat).

after Fox ran the ratings and the profitability into the ground, they sold to ABC/Disney, and that's what you have for your kids now.

Elaina Weaver January 5, 2009 at 9:09:00 PM CST  

Definitely miss TGIF! Kids today don't have a clue what that is. And I love The torkelsons!!!

Rosjuane January 5, 2009 at 10:06:00 PM CST  

I'm with you guys. I miss TGIF so much. Now don't get me wrong I watch those trashy reality show such as Rock of Love but not with my kids. I'm currently trying to start watching Wizzards of Waverly Place b/c that is Ashlyn's new show to see. I guess we will have to stick with the Disney Channel to get any family tv in.

Jenn January 6, 2009 at 1:17:00 AM CST  

I loved The Wonder Years. I'm talking...Little House on the Prairie and The Waltons...but I'm showing my age now too..lol! :)

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP