Monday, January 12, 2009

clay.

If you are within the bible belt, chances are pretty good you know this song:

Have thine own way, Lord! Have thine own way,
Thou art the potter, I am the clay.
Mold me and make me after thy will,
while I am waiting, yielded and still.


(I can just hear my aunt Wanda humming now!) It was pointed out in Sunday school by a classmate that we should take that rather literally. I have heard that song a million times, and I have heard various ways of stating that "we are like clay, and to be molded as God wishes" and etc, but I have never thought about it in the way that he summed it up, which was like this: How do you mold clay? Well, you have to take bits of it away, sometimes chiseled off, sometimes scraped off, or by whatever means necessary, to create that finished product you so desire. So basically, he meant that getting chiseled isn't exactly painless, but there's still a great motivator to make us accept those "stabs" and pains..... the knowledge that it's God's will to mold us in that fashion, to make us better and stronger believers. That walk with Christ isn't always a simple one, but still so very worth all the bumps along the way. I think I am "that" kind of learner.... the person that can listen to an entire lesson, but really absorb a small afterthought more than the lesson itself. It's that type thing that makes me do what I call "diggin" in my bible for more. I am one of the most curious people I know :)


I miss the praise band so much.... :(

and by the way......stat counter says I have 436 unique visitors today. And yet I get like 5 comments, haha

6 comments:

ash January 13, 2009 at 9:32:00 AM CST  

i have always loved thinking that we are clay...never heard it like mr. scott told it but that was very good! great post shelley

Darlene January 13, 2009 at 10:27:00 AM CST  

One of my favorites. I don't hear the old hymns anymore, I miss them.

MInTheGap January 13, 2009 at 11:08:00 AM CST  

I tend to be pulled off into a small part of a sermon as well-- I'll be in the passage the preacher told us to turn to, but find myself reading a little further and thinking through what it has to say.

You're right about clay-- and the more malleable it is, the easier the process. The harder it is, the harder it hurts!

Laken January 13, 2009 at 1:47:00 PM CST  

Very good post. I like reading your biblical posts...

Mandy January 13, 2009 at 4:35:00 PM CST  

I've definitely felt those jabs and stabs.. and they definitely hurt! lol Once you finally submit to God's authority, though... it does become so much easier, and much less painful. :) (as the above commenter stated)

karen January 14, 2009 at 9:57:00 PM CST  

Great song and wonderful pictures to go along with it. I was refreshed & encouraged when I listened to it...thanks!

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP