Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Decade

etc 001
As of tomorrow night, I will have been with Michael for 10 years. (Not married, but together) We have been married for over 9. When I met him, I was bouncing back from a horrible relationship, and had dated some, but wasn't really interested in anything overly serious. I was running around in Warren (instead of Monticello) in order to avoid my ex. I had found lots of great friends there, and was finally happy with my life again. It was hard to start over with new people, but once I got to know them, it was awesome. It was even more set in stone when they finally witnessed first hand the physical abuse (and emotional) that I had dealt with with my old boyfriend, who had lied to so many people about it. Once they knew I wasn't exxagerating, I had friends for life.
etc 002
We met on KFC parking lot, surrounded by my best friends. I was literally sitting in the back of Chad Word's truck! It was really normal to see us all congregated in various parking lots, so this wasn't odd at all. I was telling Chad that I was about to bum a ride home with him, because my friends (Don Connard and Destiny Boone) had brought Don Pharr with them, and I thought Don was too obnoxious to ride with! (Not offense, Don, you know you were a pain!) Chad says ok, no big deal. Shortly after that, Michael pulls up. He ends up hanging out there, talking to us for a while, and later offers to take me home, since he lived in Monticello. I said..."hmmm...I don't know you, so I don't think so." Michael then ends up inside, buying a coke or something, and while he is gone, Chad assures me that this guy is okay, and that he has known him forever. I eventually accept the ride. (After we go drag race...., but that part isn't related to my story)
beach
After September 17, 1998, I never went "up town" again. Not one time. September 18th, I told one of my very good guy friends that I had met the man of my dreams. I would not have ever thought I would use that terrible cliche saying. We didn't actually define our relationship until December, which worked out well for me, since Michael thought I had interest in dating someone else, but didn't. All it did was put that on the table to be discussed, without me having to do it. This was also after my ex tried to lie and say I was calling him, but Michael ended that very quickly. It was so impressive to finally be dating someone that didn't cower down to him. I was finally free to do what I wanted, without watching who was stalking me. It was great.
MY FAMILY 025
We got engaged in March the next year, and married in July. We spent a LOT of hours at movies, and at softball tournaments. I could not have been happier. I finally had a man I could bring home around my parents. It had been a long time since I could say that.
blogIMG_6654 copydownsize
I was 19 when we started dating, he was 28.
Now, he is 38, and I will be 30 in 3 weeks. Boy, a lot has changed.
We started our married life in a single wide trailer. We have since moved to town, and then moved BACK to the country. As of Thursday this week, we will be owners of the nicest home we have ever had together. I am so proud of his dedication to his job that allows us to have nice material things. I am also glad he values my time with the kids enough to have me be a stay at home mom. He has not ever really wanted me to work. He isn't the one to say I can't, but he doesn't push me to. That is quite a blessing, too, especially since I never wanted our kids in daycare.
myspace2
I think staying together 10 years (these days) is a pretty big accomplishment. I am really proud of us for overcoming struggles, whether they be babies in the NICU, finances, or anything else. He has been described to me by a friend of my mother's as having the patience of Job. That is so true. He is the most laid back person I know, and as I say a lot, he balances out my house, since I am high strung.
etc 003
I didn't know, at the time, that I was getting into an '87 chevy belonging to the man I would marry, and I didn't know, when I saw him that first night, that he would be the father of my children. If someone would've even mentioned such a thing, I would've run the other way. I wasn't ready for that at all, or so I thought.
outtakes
He is quite the daddy. He is involved of every minute of their lives that he can be. He has always changed diapers, made bottles, got up at night, cleaned up toddler puke, taken them to kid movies, taken them hunting, coached ball, attended school functions, and a lot of other things typically handled by only moms. I think that is probably his most attractive quality. I can spot a good daddy a mile away. Probably because I have one, I did a good job marrying one. He is going to Watch DOGS with Jordan tonight. He asked what it was about, exactly. I told him it was to get dad's involved with their kids. After I thought about it, I kind of decided, I am very glad he is going, but we sure didn't need a program to make him interested in his daughters.
IMG_7519blog
It's funny when people say, "awww, yall need a boy." Well, no we don't. We have two "nephews" that he loves dearly. They just happen to be not blood related. He loves them to no end, and I love him for it. Jagger and Jackson will always be an important part of his life.

As for "needing" a boy, look at the photo below and see if you think he feels short changed by having girls....
4Wheeler 055
Tomorrow will probably go unnoticed by him, as stuff like this isn't a big deal to him, or probably most men. But for me, it's just one more way for me to know, I did the right thing by getting in that chevy.
And I did the best thing by never getting in any other of them.

16 comments:

Jenny Sipes September 16, 2008 at 12:39:00 PM CDT  

Great post....so sweet!! 10 years is a long time, and in this day and age that is almost a lifetime to some couples...Congrats on making it this far...Mike is a great guy and you can see it everyday in his face that he loves you and those girls to death!!

Rosjuane September 16, 2008 at 12:48:00 PM CDT  

I'm so hurt that my name wasn't mentioned one time in this story!!!

ash September 16, 2008 at 1:27:00 PM CDT  

Im so happy for you Shelley!!! I hope and pray i can find someone like you found! Congrats on making 110 years....that is awesome this day and time!! Its funny how people think he needs a boy....my dad had one but my me and dad were more alike and spent more time together....he loved josh dont get me wrong but Josh just wasnt into some of the things that dad and i really enjoyed!!!

ash September 16, 2008 at 1:28:00 PM CDT  

oooops i meant 10 years not 110 LOL

Blake September 16, 2008 at 2:07:00 PM CDT  

I'm glad that you found someone that makes you so happy because you deserve it! He loves you and your girls with everything he has and is and all anyone has to do to see it is to look at him when he is with you.

Oh, and Rosjuane...I've heard this story before and your name was mentioned in it there...does that count? lol

The Perry Family September 16, 2008 at 3:39:00 PM CDT  

that is a sweet story and very well written! :) we really are a rare breed having been with our spouses (dating and married time) ten years and over. i pride myself in that b/c relationships do not last long around here. congrats!

dean September 16, 2008 at 4:40:00 PM CDT  

that would have been a perfect story if not for the chevy part. haha dean you big kidder you.

congratulations on 10 years, and what the heck ashlee, here's to 110 more!

mamawest777 September 16, 2008 at 6:30:00 PM CDT  

great to see someone still so much in love!!! Congrats!!

Stacy September 16, 2008 at 8:41:00 PM CDT  

You have me and Ryan beat by a day - we started see each other on the 18th of September in 1998. Our road hasn't always been smooth. Congratulations on 10 years!!

Anonymous,  September 16, 2008 at 8:41:00 PM CDT  

Congrats on the 10 years...our anniversary date is mentioned in your story...LOL.A little ironic...I have that anniversary post coming up too.

Amanda and Justin Dreyer September 16, 2008 at 11:17:00 PM CDT  

Such a neat story. You guys have been through a lot in 10 years!

Lee Ann September 17, 2008 at 8:19:00 AM CDT  

September must be the magic month. My husband and I started dating in September. In fact, our first date was at the Drew County fair. That was way back in 1978. On September 11 of this year we celebrated our 26 anniversary. Congratulations on your 10th anniversary. Cherish every one of them.

Rosjuane September 17, 2008 at 11:20:00 PM CDT  

No Blake that doesn't count but it does make me feel a tiny bit better. Still waiting on recognition SHELLEY!! Bet if I called Mike he would give me gratitude!!

Michael September 18, 2008 at 2:27:00 AM CDT  

said it before but I'll say it again...... good to see you happy. especially considering some of your past.... ummm.....episodes

i am grateful to know both of you. although, i have know you far longer than mike, he is a great man and i'm proud i'm on his good side.

not that i'm scared of him..... he knows i can take him :-)

Rita September 18, 2008 at 9:34:00 AM CDT  

great post!
happy anniversary!

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP