Tuesday, August 26, 2008

THE NEWS.


In my natural light photography, I pride myself on one thing. It's known as catchlights. They are the natural light reflection found in the human eye. You can produce light reflections via flash, but to me, it's just not the same thing. I am very anti flash, and always have been. I understand that there are times that it cannot be avoided, but actually, there are VERY few. For example, my friend Lisa Kelly is an AMAZING photographer. Her ability, and her finished work, far surpasses anyone else's that I frequently look at. She is ALL natural light. The above photo is of her amazing natural light studio. I hope to one day have sufficient lighting to be able to pull that off. (I keep telling myself the lighting must be better in Austrailia....haha)

But anyway, none one around here does natural light studio work 100% of the time. I eventually want to be the person that can.




Annsley Claire
Although I can pull off pics like the one pictured above by using all natural light, due to the fact that I own ZERO backdrops, and use only bolts of fabric, they simply are not wide enough for a toddler, or more than one baby. I used no flash whatsoever on Annsley on her portraits. No distracting flash bulbs makes it a lot easier, in my opinion.
www.allmichaeltodd.com
No flash in Michael Todd's home gym meant more shadowing on his build, which was necessary since he is a model for several supplements for body builders.
So basically, I think it is typically more flattering to skin tones, eyes, and the overall photo.
BUT, that being said.....it's been raining here for three weeks. I have cancelled three outdoor shoots due to that fact. I would not have been able to do them indoors either, without having major grain.
So, that leaves me with this: I am getting LIGHTS!
I plan to only use them when 100% necessary, or when requested by the client to have an indoor shoot. I think they will benefit me greatly when it is bad weather, freezing, or if I have very young babies. I still want to remain primarily natural light.
We are about to move to a new place that will accomodate me having an in home photography room. Not sure when that is going to happen exactly, but it is in the works. More details on that as soon as possible.
With the purchase of lights and etc, I will also be buying new backdrops.
I am in the decision making process about what colors. Right now, I am thinking some basics, with maybe one "wild" one. As I have done in the past with my fabric, I still plan to use only natural light when possible.
I am excited about these changes, and will post more when I have some things set into motion. It is my intention to maintain the lowest print prices around...they may be subject to somewhat of an increase as I buy new stuff.

5 comments:

Jaime August 26, 2008 at 9:19:00 PM CDT  

YAHOOO...you will rock it girl!!!

ash August 26, 2008 at 10:00:00 PM CDT  

yay!! im so glad!!! im excited to see all your new stuff and what pics you will do next!!! keep up the awesome work!!

Jenny Sipes August 27, 2008 at 7:59:00 AM CDT  

That is freaking awesome...you will do so good with this...good luck and i cant wait to see some new and interesting pictures...

Mindy August 27, 2008 at 9:32:00 AM CDT  

This is great! You will be awesome at this as well.

Piece of Cake August 27, 2008 at 10:42:00 AM CDT  

I'm excited to see you expanding your options.

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP