Sunday, July 13, 2008

Surgery

Wisdom teeth are the last molars on each side of the jaws. They are also the last teeth to emerge, or erupt, usually when a person is between 16 and 20.Since wisdom teeth are the last permanent teeth to come in, or erupt, there is often not enough room left in your mouth to accommodate them. This can lead to wisdom teeth that are impacted teeth that are trapped beneath the gum tissue by other teeth or bone. If teeth are impacted, swelling and tenderness may occur.Wisdom teeth that only partially emerge or come in crooked can also lead to painful crowding and disease. Since teeth removed before age 20 have less developed roots and fewer complications, the American Dental Association recommends that people between 16 and 19 have their wisdom teeth evaluated to see if they need to be removed. Well, I went to the dentist twice a year my entire life, and I guess it wasn't considered an issue, because my first one surfaced at age 28, and was pulled at Dr. Morrison's on the spot. No problem at all, other than it occurred during month end at work, and that was not good. I went home for a few hours, and was good to go in the morning.

Well, the three that I have left are not looking too good, and are going to have to be extracted by an oral surgeon on Tuesday. Two are horizontally impacted, and one is a vertical impaction. None have erupted. I dread this to no end. Although I have always recovered very quickly from surgeries, childbirth, and other dental procedures, no one wants to do this stuff. I have no tolerance for pain medication. Most of it makes me throw up. But, I also hate taking anything that I do not absolutely have to have, so hopefully things will go smoothly and I will be fine quickly.

So, Tuesday at 11 am, keep me in your prayers, as I go see the oral surgeon! The worst part will be the iv, no doubt, because I am the hardest person to stick that nurses have ever seen. The last time I had blood drawn at Reinhart's, the dr himself did it because the nurses could not get a vein. Joe (the anesthesiologist) had to start my last IV after 4 nurses could not, at Drew Memorial.... Same story at UAMS. My veins were ruined by all the medication I got when I was pregnant with Karsyn, and hospitalized for weeks in preterm labor. The effects are still there. So once we get that thing going, I am thinking it will be fine.

On another note, my anniversary is this week, the 16th. We will be celebrating 9 years of marriage. Since my printer/scanner/copier/fax combo bit the dust, I am not going to be able to do the post I was planning on, unless by some miracle it starts powering up again. I can't believe I am old enough to have been with someone a decade, and to have been a wife for 9 of those years. It cracks me up when people say how long they have been together, and include the years that they were 13 or 14. PLEASE! It's easy to be someone's significant other when you can't even drive! It's these real years that count! Be sure you head over to Rosjuane's page that day, too, because she and Brad married on July 16th as well, just several years after me, lol.

7 comments:

Mom of these kids July 13, 2008 at 8:17:00 PM CDT  

Ugh, bless your heart! And being stuck TRYING to find a vein is the worse!

Here is what I do for all my old pictures. I take them outside in the natural light, (but under the shade so there isn't a glare) and take a photo of them with the good camera. I just hold the photo in one hand, or get an assistant to hold it directly out from the camera, then you can crop it if you need to. It makes the pics super clear, and then you can also edit them easily too. (and I can't take credit for this one, my friend Kelly told me about it...it is way easier than scanning to me)

karen July 13, 2008 at 8:21:00 PM CDT  

You have our prayers, Shelley. I remember when I had two horizontal wisdom teeth taken out when I was 16. Remember to take some ice packs with you so you can get them on your cheeks while you're being driven home. I think my daughter applied hers while she was still waiting in the dentist's office to be released.

kelly July 13, 2008 at 9:13:00 PM CDT  

I will be thinking of you!! I had mine out at 19 by Dr. Smart. I can not handle pain medicine. I was sick for a couple of days, but that was from the pain meds. I can't handle vicotin that well. Drink alot of fluids!!! Good luck!

Michael July 13, 2008 at 11:14:00 PM CDT  

You'll do fine with your surgery. I had mine removed a long time ago, not even sure how old I was. All four of mine were vertically challenged!

Oh yeah, we're eating steaks Tuesday night. I got the biggest juiciest steaks ready for the grill... you and Mike are invited! :-)

What is it about getting married in July? Blake and I will have our 6th anniversary on the 20th this month.

Sarah Albin July 14, 2008 at 11:33:00 AM CDT  

Oooooh, no fun! Of all medical providers, I detest dentists the most! I had my wisdom teeth out right before college. No fun for sure! Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Laken July 14, 2008 at 3:29:00 PM CDT  

Yayayayayayay! Anniversaries are the best! And I wish you the best with your wisdom teeth removal. I had a bad time with mine.......

ash July 15, 2008 at 12:24:00 PM CDT  

Hey hope it all went well!!! I had a good experiance and i pray you will too!!!

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP