Thursday, July 31, 2008

hot coals.


Romans 12: 20 -- Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.
hmmm.....
To me, this verse sounds like it might be some sort of revenge to take on your enemies, or people that you feel have "wronged" you. Who wouldn't want to repay someone that hurt them by giving them a dose of their own medicine? Dumping hot coals on someone's head sounds pretty viscious, but in Eastern life it meant something totally different.
In the village, not all households were equipped to start a fire in the morning. A woman who had a flint would start a fire, and she would place hot coals on a chunk of pottery. Her son would take the pottery and place it on his head, then go from house to house in the village, sharing the coals so everyone could have a fire that day. On those cold mornings, the boy was warmed by the coals he carried on his head. This verse is telling us that our actions towards our enemies should ‘warm them’ and is explained more clearly in the next verse.

Romans 12: 21 -- Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.
I use a paralell bible that is NKJV & The Message. Here's one perfect example of why I like the message a lot; it isn't confusing on these verses at all.
Romans 12:20-21 (The Message)
20-21Our Scriptures tell us that if you see your enemy hungry, go buy that person lunch, or if he's thirsty, get him a drink. Your generosity will surprise him with goodness. Don't let evil get the best of you; get the best of evil by doing good.
I have been digging; reaching; more or less, for the right verse to turn to for some decision making in my home. In doing that, I ran up on that verse, that I had read at another point as well. Sometimes what you find, may not be what you are looking for, but what He had you seeking, regardless.
more digging to come....

5 comments:

Blake July 31, 2008 at 1:35:00 PM CDT  

You found this just for me, didn't you...lol

Sugar-n-Spice July 31, 2008 at 2:38:00 PM CDT  

and all this time i thought i was thought i was killing them with kindness....not warming 'em up!

Mandy July 31, 2008 at 4:32:00 PM CDT  

lol I'm with Brandy. ;)

It's so strange that you posted this, I posted a kind of similar post on my blog just a minute ago after a trip to Walmart. lol (walmart always gives good blogging material!)

I was watching Joyce Meyer once and she was talking about blessing those that do not like you. She said that bestowing blessings upon someone that has a distaste for you does tend to "warm them up" and eventually heal a wounded relationship. Even though I DID NOT WANT TO lol, I did this with a family member.. just blessing the crap out of them. Our relationship, after YEARS of rockiness, is on the mend.

Mandy July 31, 2008 at 4:35:00 PM CDT  

I JUST read about your dad's trip to the VA.. how did it go? (you can email me if you don't want to post it publically.)

Shelley July 31, 2008 at 4:37:00 PM CDT  

we won't have results until next Thurs, his dr is in Syria till then.

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP