Saturday, June 7, 2008

whadda ya think?

I have had a few email conversations with Dean, and with various bloggers about the importance of commenting and how much they mean to a blogger on practically every post.

We all understand that sometimes readers don't comment because maybe they are in a hurry, maybe they are not in the mood or maybe they just don't think that what they have to say really matters or makes sense. Sometimes people email me because they are leary to say their true feelings out there in public.

As this blog's "owner" I will tell ya my two cents on commenting. I hope that I can encourage you to begin commenting on blogs (not just mine, go post on Dean's too, lol) and also express my thanks to those readers who always or most of the time, make it a point to leave a comment, especially the many that have added my dad to their prayer list.

I can't speak for ALL bloggers, but I will speak for most, commenting is a big deal.

Blogging can vary from being a hobby, to being an obsession, but seems to be something we enjoy. Sometimes it's fun, sometimes it's painful, sometimes it's almost scary to put yourself out there like that to be judged and ridiculed by people that don't know you at all in the "real" world, there are so many reasons to keep a blog, but there is the common thread we all have, it takes guts to say what we say, at times, and we are often proud of our posts. Not all of them, because some are just plain ol' braggin' on kids' posts, but others are often written, re written, and edited many times before we throw them out here. When I was leading the web ministry team at church, one post often took several hours of researching and nit picking before I would post it. I have dealt with anonymous comments that were cut throat and mean, and others that people actually did sign, with very malicious content. But that's okay. I know who I am, and I know what I believe, so being able to differentiate between blog world and MY world is really easy. I don't need validation from my blog. I realize I fail at things, just like everyone else. I know I make mistakes, too.

A comment can be more than just a comment; it's feedback, it's conversation, it's appreciation.

Your opinion may really help someone out, since a lot of our blogs are nothing but VENTING!

So anyway, now I am awaiting wedding photos from Tess Kilcrease of her dad's wedding tonight. She called me for a crash course in photography before heading to McGehee, and I am excited to see how it goes. She is really excited to learn more from me (and my books) about her camera, and she happens to have three gorgeous girls to practice on. (She has a Karsyn too, but hers is Karson!) She is in love with her camera that David got her, so we are well on our way to getting that girl going with manual settings. Go Tess, lol! I have still got to get some time set aside to work with Anna and Ashley with their cameras, too. We have been working on that for months.

12 comments:

Melissa June 7, 2008 at 8:52:00 PM CDT  

what books do you suggest reading to learn more about photography. I have a canon 40D and I do like it. I'm using manual settings. But I'm not very comfortable with it yet. I'm eager to learn as much as possible. If there's anything you can post on here to help, please do! I love your work!

Rosjuane June 7, 2008 at 10:03:00 PM CDT  

I'm a terrible commentor!! Since you called me on it I'm going to make it a point to start commenting more. So that I in turn will get more comments. I know that I've been a slacker lately and it is showing on my blog.

dean June 7, 2008 at 10:45:00 PM CDT  

i'm with ya on that point about not needing validation from our blogs. ego gratification maybe. but even there, i don't look to the comments as much as i do my site meter :-)

in all honesty though, we do enjoy the interaction we get when people comment. i personally enjoy a spirited debate (or even just a spirited conversation!), so it isn't like all my commenters have to agree with me. but i'm a very nice, friendly, lovable goofball, and i'd never be mean to anyone. i don't think any of the bloggers i know personally would either.

btw, i noticed shelley didn't link me (even though she used my name twice... a-HEM), so just go to her sidebar to find me, and comment away!

K.T. is Mommatude June 8, 2008 at 12:28:00 AM CDT  

Dean-I have some catching up to do...

I have to admit,I have been slacking.

But you are so right!!

Drea June 8, 2008 at 8:54:00 AM CDT  

i get like 500 UNIQUE hits a day.. yet some days onle 10 comments. That to me makes no sense.
I guess its a good thing tho.. because I couldnt keep up with that many comments, HAHA. But I do wish more did comment.. cause I enjoy reading them.

Jaime June 8, 2008 at 12:15:00 PM CDT  

I agree.....I try to comment as much as I can. But I am sure I could try alittle harder. Sometimes I feel like what I say is dumb....or I say the same things over and over. And sometimes I feel like people wouldn't really care if I commented. Just how I feel.
I do love getting comments on my blog. It brightens my day....and well that means that people actually look at my blog. LOL

Sarah Albin June 8, 2008 at 2:24:00 PM CDT  

I have wanted to do a post like this on my blog but I haven't gotten to it. I know people look at my blog because they tell me so, but not too many people comment. I probably don't even average one comment per post. I try to tell myself that I am doing the blog posts for myself, not for others... even if that's not totally accurate. :)

karen June 8, 2008 at 4:18:00 PM CDT  

I read mostly your blog and Sarah's. I really enjoy both of them. It's been fun getting to know you & your family/life through all your posts. With Sarah's, it's a great way for me to keep up to date on the grandkids & family in California. I know it takes a lot of effort to keep one of these going. I think you're wise to remind your readers once in a while, like you did here, that "comments" are nice. Keep up the great work!

Marie June 8, 2008 at 7:56:00 PM CDT  

Hi Shelley!

I can relate to your feelings about comments. I started my blog intending it to be a support site that would really depend on interaction to make it the most effective. I primarily get comments from people I know and they are always encouraging, but I would love to broaden the base.

Part of the way I have done that is by joining Blog Catalog. That is a very interesting site and I have met some very nice bloggers there.

But I also understand if people don't leave comments. Some people are shy, even virtually. Some simply don't have anything to say. People read blogs for all different reasons.

At any rate, I will follow your blog and leave comments as often as I can. :) I would be so happy to have you check out my blog as well.

Cheers,
Marie :)

Debbi June 8, 2008 at 9:54:00 PM CDT  

what a good post to read. I have been really bad at commenting - it was starting to take over my life so I had to back off, and instead of backing off from the whole blog world, I just backed off from commenting. Sometimes I only do it once a week, sometimes for a lot of posts.

I love google reader and I read everything out there that people post (except those with private blogs - the feeds don't show up).

I also love looking at the photography sometimes, like - yours, rosjuane's, and maury's but I sometimes feel like I say "great picture" for every comment so sometimes I just admire the talent you guys all have.

I also agree with Rosjuane, when I comment more, I get more comments. sometimes it's great, sometimes I really just post for journaling purposes - and I get comments.

I guess I had enough to say about this - sorry! I also wanted to tell you that comment or not - I have been reading your blog and thinking about your dad - hope things are going ok!

Mom of these kids June 9, 2008 at 9:53:00 AM CDT  

I love to get comments too. I don't seem to get as many different people commenting as I used to. I still have my faithful ones luckily though. I don't know if it is b/c people just don't want to sign in now that I am private, or they just don't know what to say now that I am being more personal. But, I know my mom reads it faithfully, and that is a lot of the reason I keep blogging, and blogging as often as I do.

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP