Thursday, January 3, 2008

My baby is EIGHT....

It honestly seems like no time ago at all that I was being rushed to Little Rock in an ambulance, moments after a well known now deceased dr here told me it was a waste of time, that my child was not going to be a 'viable birth' and I needed to accept that. Thank goodness my husband is a hard head that didn't take that as an answer, and thank God his best friend happens to own Monticello Ambulance Service Inc. or who knows what may have happened. I don't even want to think about it. If you question the validity of miracles, you can come over and meet my kid whenever you would like. Because we witnessed one through her that stumped every person in the NICU and had the Neonatology department dumbfounded. You see, my daughter, the one that tested higher than anyone in the entire school in reading during standardized testing, is supposed to be extremely mentally and physically handicapped. She had a very significant bleed in her brain, known as an IVH, Grade IV. When a child has this much bleeding in their brain, shunt placement is necessary to relieve the pressure, and stop any more brain damage from occurring. If it is a lesser grade, the body will "resolve" or reabsorb it, on it's own, but with one as bad as Jordan's, that was physically impossible. Impossible that is, without the king of kings...... On the day we went for her follow up head ultrasound to prepare for shunt placement (when she weighed 4 lbs exactly), they drug us all over the hospital, convinced the ultrasound machine was malfunctioning, because there was not only less blood present, there was NONE. My child had 100% absolution in a mere 24 hours. And obviously, if you have met my kid, you also know she is extremely advanced for her age, with no brain damage. She is literally, a walking miracle. I don't beat around the bush about it, you can doubt it if you want to, but my child was healed by the grace of God. I like to think I was given that blessing because I didn't try to demand it. At that point, I did not care if she was handicapped or not. I was just happy to have her.

Jordan was my "easy" baby. The one that slept well, and loved everyone. She is also my compassionate child, to a fault. She cannot bear to see someone in pain or upset. While my father had chemo and was very sick, it was not uncommon for her to climb into his chair with him and lay there for hours with him, when she was just a toddler. She always knew when her Pop was sick and they have a special connection.

She is my cut up for the camera. The one who loves to strike a pose. The one who notices all details, in every environment. She has the memory of an elephant.


She is also my girly girl, and my drama queen. The one that prefers makeup to toys, and new clothes over almost anything. She loves hugs and hanging out in your lap as long as you will leave her there.

I am blessed, in so many ways, to be given the opportunity to be her mother. She taught me more before she was even due to be born, than most have taught me in my entire life. She is my fighter, born 3 months early, kicking and screaming and more ready for the world than anyone ever thought.
Happy Birthday Jordi, aka "Boo Boo Bear," we love you very much!
We are off to Laynes (can't get used to saying Village Steakhouse), with Brother Bear Jagger in tow, to have a birthday dinner fit for a queen, she loves that place!! Her real birthday is tomorrow, but hopefully we will we welcoming Jackson Hines into the world, so we are going to eat tonight.




14 comments:

Sarah Albin January 3, 2008 at 4:28:00 PM CST  

Happy Birthday Jordan! Hope you all a fun dinner tonight.

Lou Arnold January 3, 2008 at 6:26:00 PM CST  

Happy Birthday Jordan! Would you expect to go somewhere else to eat for the queen.

Mom of these kids January 3, 2008 at 7:02:00 PM CST  

Happy Birthday Jordan!! She is a miracle!!

I LOVE that pic of her on the beach....and also the one of her peaking through the fence with her eyes cut up....TOO CUTE!

Jaime January 3, 2008 at 8:33:00 PM CST  

Happy Birthday Jordan!!! Great story Shelley!! Thanks for sharing that. I hope you had a great dinner!

Anonymous,  January 3, 2008 at 9:09:00 PM CST  

Happy birthday Jordan! hey shelley I did'nt have to work tonight at Laynes so sorry I missed ya'll

K.T. is Mommatude January 3, 2008 at 9:25:00 PM CST  

My goodness,definitely a miracle child and beautiful to boot!!Happy Birthday to her!!!

Laken January 4, 2008 at 8:38:00 AM CST  

She is beautiful! What a miraculous story!

The Perry Family January 4, 2008 at 8:59:00 AM CST  

wow, God does work miracles! happy birthday! love the pic in the fence! so cute!

Anonymous,  January 4, 2008 at 3:45:00 PM CST  

you people are obsessed with the cult village. don't you know there are restaurants here?

dean January 4, 2008 at 10:02:00 PM CST  

happy birthday jordan! shell, i knew about your babies both being premature, but this was the first time i'd ever heard the whole story. one of the most amazing i've ever heard! anyone that does not believe in miracles should read this and re-think their position (well, that would have been before the blog was locked again).

btw, just got back from eating at village catfish... one of my favorite dining "obsessions"... besides village steakhouse! truly some of the nicest people in this area, or anywhere i've been.

but again HAPPY BIRTHDAY JORDAN!!!

Jenny Sipes January 5, 2008 at 8:55:00 AM CST  

THEY ARE NOT A CULT...IT IS A GREAT PLACE TO TAKE YOUR FAMILY AND HAVE A GREAT MEAL!! WHOEVER DEEMS IT NECESSARY TO SAY STUFF LIKE THAT NEEDS TO SHOW WHO YOU ARE...IF YOU ARE BRAVE ENOUGH TO SAY IT YOU OUGHT TO BE BRAVE ENOUGH TO SHOW YOUR NAME!!I LOVE THE VILLAGE STEAKHOUSE...AND I LOVE MY SHELLEY BELLEY

ash January 6, 2008 at 9:42:00 PM CST  

I LOVE THE VILLAGE!!! Where can you go in Monticello and get the service with a smile each time....your order right everytime....great food....you can go eat at 3 awesome places.....go to teh pet store....eat icecream shop for your dream furniture.....i can keep goin and goin!!! No matter what location you go in to the Village you get a smile and warm greeting!!! I just dont get that all the time im MOnticello!!!!!

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP