Tuesday, January 20, 2009

New NICU at UAMS

They opened the new nicu, and here's some info about it. Parents will be able to spend way more time with the babies, and I think it's awesome. We had none of these options with my kids. They weren't allowed stimulation at all... no talking to them, no touching, etc, for a long time, because it irritated their apnea, reflux, caused dropping in body temp, etc. It was terrible. Considering I lived there on bedrest with K for several weeks, I can tell you, the Ante Partum, post partum, and NICU was great, but the "sleeping situation" left something to be desired. I often had THREE roomates. (And, for the record, I did bedrest right. I didn't have "modified" bedrest like some people. I had: no walking, no house chores, no shopping, no going to eat out, no nothing, from 16 weeks - 31 weeks, with the last month being in the hospital, taking terbutaline and mag, which didn't stop my contractions in the least! I was so weak after K was born, I think it took around 3 weeks for me to get energy back, from being flat of my back for so long. This is why I don't like to hear preggo girls whine... Unless you have had to be on bedrest, (and actually did it right) you just don't understand...it's like prison) I think the advances that the NICU has made are wonderful, and am so glad that funding was available to expand the hospital.
Reagan is expected to come home within the next few days!

1 comments:

Blake January 21, 2009 at 3:13:00 PM CST  

Woo Hoo for Reagan! I know her parents will be glad to finally have her home.

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP