Monday, December 8, 2008

where I've been

is in bed with a migraine since 6 pm last night. I find it kind of funny when people that don't really have migraines call a normal headache one. If you really have migraines, you need migraine medication, and a dark room to sleep it off. Stuff like "excedrin migraine" is a joke. I need demerol or morphine shots and a towel wrapped around my head, held there as tightly as possible to get over mine. So when someone says "oh I have a migraine" to me, I usually keep my mouth shut, but I am thinking, if you are up & talking to me, or in Walmart, or anywhere else for that matter, you don't know what a migraine is. You have a HEADACHE! Not a migraine.

I get about 2-3 migraines a year. By the time I pay off the last ER or dr bill, I have a new one follow it up. I used to take topamax to prevent it, but it's too costly. I spend less money paying for shots in the ER as needed than I do taking that daily. I also use imitrex, but if you don't take it soon enough, it won't work. I usually hold off too long without taking it, because it makes me feel like I just drank 10 gallons of coffee. I inherited these headaches from my mother. She has a lot of issues even worse than this, and I hope I don't get them all... her headaches also give her stroke symptoms, especially when she is around any flouroscent lighting. Well....my eyebrow above my right eye is lower than the left when I have these headaches, and for a couple days after. I hope that isn't a sign that I will have the same problems as my mother. When I have migraines, it is on the right side only, and always has been. I wish there was more info known about what causes my mom's problems, but there's basically not much known at all. I am hoping this headache will go away, and not move back into migraine status again. I am NOT good at laying in bed for hours. It doesn't suit my temperment at all.

10 comments:

Michael December 8, 2008 at 5:58:00 PM CST  

When I tried Imitrex for my migraine, I felt like I was having a racing heart attack. Never again for the imitrex!

Migraines suck! Mine are a lot fewer since I have my blood pressure medication adjusted and I realized a few things which trigger one. If I eat a lot of real rich chocolate, I get one.

Meprozine is about the only thing which works for me.

Anonymous,  December 8, 2008 at 6:35:00 PM CST  

I have them too.I can tell when one is coming on because of that weird feeling above my eye-I go straight to my bears den at that moment.
I have always had them,got that from my Dad and my uncle.

Hoping it gets better.

Mom of these kids December 8, 2008 at 7:38:00 PM CST  

Sorry you are feeling so bad. Man that sucks to have them that bad. I had them pretty bad when I was pregnant with one of the girls...that is the only time. I knew I was getting one b/c I would start seeing these weird spots with my eyes. They got pretty bad, I couldn't be around any light at all, but I don't think they were as bad as what you are describing. How scary that must be.

Jaime December 8, 2008 at 8:39:00 PM CST  

Oh girl I am sorry you have a migraine. I totally understand. I have to go to bed and sleep...no noise and no light. They are aweful.
I found out that if you don't catch it in time...NOTHING works.

I hope it goes away soon. I haven't had one in a while....

Kelsey December 8, 2008 at 11:15:00 PM CST  

I've only had one migraine and it was the worst thing I have ever experienced. I was nauseous the entire time and nothing helped.

Feel better!

ash December 9, 2008 at 10:11:00 AM CST  

i get bad headaches but not migrains...i couldnt imagine...cuz a bad headache kills me! glad your feeling better...and i cant imagine you laying in bed for hours .... lol

Michele December 9, 2008 at 2:14:00 PM CST  

I absolutely hate getting migraines. The Imitrex that I do is the shot...I take Relpax if I can get to it in time. I agree with you tho..the ER and a shot of morphine does the trick..but I soooo hate going to the ER. I can always tell when I'm getting one...my vision blurs over, almost like a vision in front of my eyes..really weird. Smoke smell does it too..and Glenn smokes..yikes!

Hope you feel better soon!!

Hugz,
Michele

P.S. Wanted to tell you that I never received anything from my ornament swap partner. I contacted her and she said she received mine, but that was it. Don't know if there was a due date to send them.

Kasey December 9, 2008 at 3:32:00 PM CST  

I get migraines a lot. I have been to a neurologists and he has explained to me that there are many different kinds of migraines. My migraines are severe headaches that come 2-3 days EVERY WEEK. but i am still able to get up and go places, just hurts while doing it. I often have migraines that i am not able to get out of bed though.

The other type of migraine is like yours. But to me, there all still migraines that hurt very badly. I have tried topamax but like you said, costs to much. and Imitrex didn't work on me. So i'm on propranolol, cheaper and it works good.

Either way, it's not fun having any kind of migraine. And i know how you feel.

Jenn December 9, 2008 at 10:06:00 PM CST  

I feel ya! I get them and the whole vomiting thing to boot! I sometimes see waterwaves in my vision before it comes on.

I've done imitrex, and some other different in the nose meds that did not help me too much...

Have you tried Midrin before? It is prescribed and if I get in in soon enough, it helps minimized the time span.

Blood pressure meds have helped me to have fewer migraines.

Gah, I've had them so bad I actually broke my thumb b/c I was trying to bang my head on the headboard!!! No lie!!! And no one would understand what I mean here, unless they had a migraine!

I'm sorry you have to go through this! Hope you are feeling much better...prayers! jenn

Laken December 10, 2008 at 11:47:00 AM CST  

I know exactly what you are talking about. I had migraines REALLY bad in high school, and was on Topomax for a while. When I moved to LR, I noticed that I wasn't having them nearly as often. I went back into the doctor, and they related my migraines to the type of birth control that I was taking. I still get them, but only get about 2 or 3 a year. I then have to either have a shot or take a prescription pain pill, lay in a dark room and have no sound. That is the only way they will go away.

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP