Tuesday, December 2, 2008

the studio issue, once again...

I have had to turn away EIGHT sessions in the last couple of weeks because it is freezing. I really hate doing that. I can't begin to explain how much I hate it.... this is why I try really hard to get people to do their family pictures/kids pictures for Christmas cards in October. Now I am disappointing people left and right, and I can't stand it! This blah weather is so stinking cold, and the sky is grey and yucky; making it pretty much impossible to get a decent shot when I am dealing with little ones that may take a while to get used to me. I like to give a kid 30 minutes at least, to learn my name and play, or do whatever it takes to make them relax. When it's less than thirty degrees.....obviously I can't. In order to work around that, I had planned to use an extra bedroom here as a makeshift studio, and was going to buy lights. After much thinking, I decided against that. An indoor photographer just isn't what I am. I hate losing customers over it, though, and really wish I could accomodate everyone. I can use all natural light and shoot indoors, without flash, WHEN THERE IS LIGHT, but with this cloud cover, I haven't had any at all. Taking into consideration that the market is over saturated with people thinking they are photographers that actually have no background in photography at all, it makes it really hard to make this business work. (And if anyone thinks it's rude that I said that, I am sorry, but it's true. Buying a camera doesn't make you an overnight photographer. If you cannot shoot in manual mode, you shouldn't be charging. I would not buy scissors today and open a hair salon tomorrow..."simply because I like doing hair")
So anyway, back to the point, I wanted to let people know that I am not getting studio lighting, and I appreciate everyone that sticks with me through this cold, nasty weather! I will remain a natural light photographer :) there's just too many limits on being inside!

ad

12 comments:

Melanie December 2, 2008 at 10:34:00 AM CST  

Hello and thanks for your comment on my blog! I love your photography! I just started making baby cocoons for photographers! Do you have one? If so I can send you one for free since I just started making them. If you'd like I can send you a pic of the 1st one I made just let me know. God bless!

Shelley December 2, 2008 at 10:37:00 AM CST  

Nope, I don't have one, but would love one! I am emailing you now :)

Mandy December 2, 2008 at 12:31:00 PM CST  

Oh girl I hate that the weather is making business tough for you!! It doesn't help your situation, but I really admire your ability to stick to what you are passionate about. Knowing that your passion and talent is in OUTDOOR shoots, and standing your ground, is awesome!!

By the way, the more I do my own business stuff, the more I understand where you are coming from on the "owning a camera doesn't make you a photographer" issue. It's so true.. though hard for people to hear.

What I'm finding, in two different areas of business I'm doing (the dog training and still with writing), is that people see someone they know (or maybe they don't know) become successful doing 'something' and figure that they could do that, too! The reality is, God gifts us all with different talents and we all must find our own, not just do what we think will generate the most money. (does that make sense?)

I shutter to think of someone trying to do the things with dogs that I do... I can see blood and injuries happening quickly! lol It would be equally painful for someone if I decided that b/c I like pictures, I was going to be a professional photographer. Oh, the horror! lol

Melissa December 2, 2008 at 1:43:00 PM CST  

I totally agree with you! I know someone who thinks she's a professional just b/c she bought an expensive camera. Well hate to tell her she aint! I have an expensive camera too and I shoot in manual mode and I know I'm not anywhere close to a professional. It's just something i love to do in my spare time. I have had a couple of people that has asked me to take their pictures and I did it. But I didn't charge them either. I always say if you want me to take pictures, great but don't expect professional quality. You gotta pay to get that! and it's well worth paying for! I can't make my pictures look anywhere as good as yours. I still plan to bring my kids/family to you when I want that special picture to hang on my wall.

Shelley December 2, 2008 at 3:34:00 PM CST  

well, Melissa, you aren't comparible to what I mean... you have been reading and learning with trial and error and asking lots of questions, which is EXACTLY what I encourage. Photography is an awesome hobby, and I try to be open with online resources that I use anytime anyone asks. There was a time (a LONG time, actually) that I did work for free as well, in what photogs usually call portfolio building. Nothin' wrong with that!

Matt December 2, 2008 at 4:12:00 PM CST  

im curious to all the photographers that read here... how often do you use manual mode. I mainly shoot weddings and shoot manual probably about 40-50% of the time. Mainly during formal sessions and receptions. I really enjoy shooting aperture mode as well. I never use anything else... just manual and aperture. Just curious as to what others used and why. I think sometimes I see people who wear a badge of honor because they accidentally got a good photo in "manual mode"... i guess what I want to start here is why do you use the mode you do? I change to manual mode if I am in consistent surroundings where I am not moving locations... lighting situations, etc... for example formals at weddings or set up shots like engagements or bridals. But alot of times in action photos.... actually i think i might use manual alot more than i think... as i type this i see i use manual just about all the time. ha...

Shelley December 2, 2008 at 4:50:00 PM CST  

I am 95% manual. Ro likes AV, but I have never used it enough to be comfortable with it.
When I do a wedding, all "during the ceremony" ones are manual, but the "posed" ones are not usually, because I end up bouncing flash off the ceiling with my speedlite (since, as you know, I don't own softboxes...can't justify the cost). I don't have any problems with camera shake at low shutter speeds, so I am just more comfortable when I am "telling the camera what to do" than I am with letting it pick for me. I am still, as always, a work in progress, though, with lots left to learn.
(and yes Matt.... you are lookin like an all manual shooter if you re-read that ;P)

mamawest777 December 2, 2008 at 5:17:00 PM CST  

All manual here, too. But I fully confess to being a control freak!

Shelley December 2, 2008 at 5:22:00 PM CST  

ha, is that what's wrong with us? :P

dean December 2, 2008 at 9:23:00 PM CST  

our weather broke yesterday. had i known you were having weather issues, i'd have told you to come down here. what's an hour and a half to somebody that wants great pics, right? and besides, i know how fond you are of those railroad track pics, and believe you me, we gots the railroad tracks! ALL STINKIN NIGHT LONG we gots the railroad tracks... oh, and red lobster. don't forget the red lobster.

Anonymous,  December 3, 2008 at 1:42:00 AM CST  

Okay sign me up for the cocoon baby photo shoot,thats exactly what I was looking at for this one!!!

Brandi December 4, 2008 at 8:37:00 AM CST  

Hey :)! Brandy has an album of your old pics that lays on the coffee table but the pics need an update. They are all of babies and kids and thought maybe you might want to change'm up and put one of your cards or something in it! I'm always telling people about your great pics and some new examples would be awesome!!!

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP