Tuesday, November 11, 2008

what's the deal.

In talking to someone today, it was discussed that often times, speaking about your relationship with Christ, your church, your salvation, what God has done in your life, and anything of that nature, can be turned into you being seen as "judgemental" or "hypocrital" of others. A lot of the time, it seems like those that cast those stones may be having a hard time with their own walk with Christ, therefore it seems like everyone else's life is so easy in comparison.

Why is that? Why do others feel like it's "bashing them" if you talk about your Christianity, your church, or just your overall hapiness with the changes that you have made? Why do people think it's weird to give credit where credit is due, when you know in your heart a prayer was answered, therefore you said that it was.

Little things stand out to me, and I notice stuff that a lot of people don't. (My Aunt W says all the people on my dad's side have a R-----'s "stare" and I know I do, haha) For example, my favorite uncle, my uncle J, to be exact, fell the other night after coming home from church in the dark. He has some issues with one side of his body from being run over when he worked in the woods, and therefore that leg does it's own thing sometimes. Based on my mother's account of his injuries, it sounds like he looks like he was in a car wreck. But you know what else she said? That he called it a blessing. I was extremely confused about how bleeding and black eyes could be a blessing, and she clarified; it was a blessing because it could've been his wife. Had it been her, it is likely that she would've broken a bone. Talk about throwing an optimistic twist on things, huh. I think he is that way, partly because life has dealt him a hard hand; he is living with alzheimers. NOT dying of it, but LIVING WITH IT, and appreciating each and every day. He is a Christ centered man that I have the utmost respect for. Everyone needs someone like him in their life.

My mother called me from my dad's last appointment at the VA, to tell me that the news wasn't so good.... That surgery is not possible for my dad. Well, we never thought it would be, so this is not shocking. She says it hasn't gotten worse though, so I tell her that it is in fact "good" news, because it could be worse. The cancer could've spread more rapidly, and it hasn't. I know that God did this for me as much as he did it for him. I need my daddy, and I know in my heart that God gave him this chance for a chemo break for me. I am very open about saying that; yet I know some people think it is crazy. But I don't care. Because it is true.

I don't know how many people that read my blog also read "Mckmama's blog" that is linked over on the side under Mckmiracle. If you take time to check it out, you can follow the story of a baby that was given a death sentence while in utero. I watched that blog the day she had that baby as though she was my family. I had spent time in prayer for her and her baby, and I just KNEW he was going to be born okay. If you know me, you know I am not a crier. This baby's birth made me cry like nothing I can explain. God is so good. Be willing to say so. Even if people think you are nuts. You aren't.

6 comments:

Unknown November 11, 2008 at 7:32:00 PM CST  

It must be from God that you blogged about the accusations of being "righteous". Someone was accused of this Sunday at church and her hurt spilled over into my Sunday School class. She was so upset. I have been checking myself for two days to see if I am that way!

I think that is a harsh thing to say to someone, and I don't know if I would ever do that.

Some people think nothing of confronting people like that.

I have to say, there ARE people that get on my nerves because when I am around them it seems likee they are trying to prove they are the BEST parents in the world. There is no such thing. Good parents are Godly parents, and don't need to prove anything.

This is what I told my friend Sunday, "Check yourself, see if there is any error inside of your heart (pride) and you can learn something from the hurt. Do not let it hinder your walk with God, but let it encourage you to grow".

The devil has many tactics to discourage believers.......and this is one of them.

Sorry this was so long!!!

Anonymous,  November 11, 2008 at 9:44:00 PM CST  

I have been told that I was judgmental for those reasons-

I give credit where credit is due and I KNOW I wouldnt be where I am without God,if that makes someone think that I am judgmental then so be it.-

Anissa Jo November 12, 2008 at 12:57:00 PM CST  

I've had people try to shoot down my thoughts on what God has done for me ~ but only because they do not have the connection or understanding to see that He is in control of everything.
I had a doctor laugh once when he assured me that my child couldn't be completely "healed" after one treatment for a condition it never happens that way he said but then agreeded that nothing else needed to be done 5 minutes later when he checked him out! My prayers were answered by God - even my parents acted strange when I told them that my PRAYERS were what healed my son not the doctor. Didn't matter to me really what they thought anyway what matters is what I BELIEVE!

I'm with you on your DAD (more answered prayers) it's not worse so that's good.

dean November 12, 2008 at 4:34:00 PM CST  

well, Jesus said the world would hate us because of Him. Christians need not be obnoxious about things, but we do need to understand that there will always be people who think we believe in fairy tales, or that just because we believe Jesus is the only way that we're somehow intolerant of those who believe otherwise.

"if it is possible, as much as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." (romans 12:18)

unfortunately, it doesn't always depend on us...

we'll continue to keep your dad in our prayers.

Mandy November 13, 2008 at 8:14:00 AM CST  

Shelley,

I think you've hit the nail on the head, and it's a more mature way to look at things, when you stated that it really just shows where THEY are with Christ. It does not reflect your walk.

Jeff and I wrote an article together, quite a while ago, and one thing that we hit pretty hard is that people cannot use "you aren't supposed to judge" as a way to escape spiritual discipline. When one TRUE believer sees another messing up, it is APPROPRIATE for that person to be confronted by the other. (in a Biblical way) It's not judgemental if its from true concern.

As for people thinking you're tooting your own horn for giving God the glory. The truth is, it's the opposite. When we can swallow our pride and admit that without Christ we can do NOTHING, it is a sign of humility!!

In all honesty, the sad truth is, if people do not have Christ 'really' in their lives, they simply cannot understand how you experience God, and why you speak of him, and why you give him glory. That doesn't mean you should stop... I would have to think that God delights in us when we speak boldly about him, praising him, thanking him publicly, when we KNOW we will be criticised.

I've had it happen as well... more times than not.. but that's okay. That's when we must remember WHO'S we are.. and WHY we're here. :)

karen November 14, 2008 at 9:58:00 PM CST  

Never be afraid to stand before others and share praises of our Lord. You may be planting a seed or watering a seed that has already been planted. We are called to be witnesses.

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP