Wednesday, November 19, 2008

So what's your cleaning routine?

I know I have a lot of readers that stay home, but I have a lot that are work outside the home moms as well.

What's your "clean your house" routine? Do you do stuff on certain days? Are certain tasks reserved for your husband? What's 'your way' of doing all that lovely house stuff?

Mine is this:
80% is on a "need to be done basis" My mom does certain stuff on certain days. Not me, except for a few exceptions: I change sheets on Mondays, on everyone's beds. I do what I call "deep clean" the bathrooms on Mondays, too, which is the scrub everything down, clean the showers well, mop, and etc kind of cleaning. I vaccuum upstairs while their sheets are off the beds. I vaccuum the couch cushions on Mondays, too. On Fridays, I vaccuum up there again, and also in my room. (I only vaccuum my room once a week because it isn't high traffic at all, like the upstairs is) Obviously the kitchen is done daily; I cook pretty much every weeknight so there's no way around that one. I sweep the downstairs daily, and mop every other day. Laundry is a constant thing, I do a load a day on average, so that it doesn't pile up. I iron stuff before it goes into the closet. I hate ironing, but I hate wrinkles more. All the bathrooms get touch up cleaning as needed, but I don't have a really consistent pattern with that one. This house could be dusted 3 times a day and still have dust, but I dust every few days, in the living room, and my room only once a week. (No one sees that dust, haha)
I DO NOT take out the trash. That's Michael's job. (and I expect very little out of him in the housework department, so I don't feel bad about saying that.) I also ask him to bring my kid's hamper downstairs periodically, because I don't want them climbing a flight of stairs with it, but most of the time I get it myself. I mow the yard; but that's something I do by choice. If I don't want to, he does it, no problems. He handles the weedeater, and the blower. He did a great job cleaning out the garage, and we also elimnated the storage building bill by taking that stuff to the attic, YAY. He will empty the dishwasher at times, but I don't ask him to. He usually cleans off the table and brings me the plates. That's the extent of his kitchen time; but once again, that's just part of staying home, it's my job. When I worked full time, we split a lot of this stuff. (BUT NEVER LET HIM WASH CLOTHES!!! HE RUINS STUFF!)
So what keeps your household flowing?

7 comments:

Piece of Cake November 19, 2008 at 10:36:00 AM CST  

When the kids were younger and I stayed at home, I did all the housework and all the cooking. Now that we both work we share the workload. The only things that I would say that he doesn't do are laundry and the bathrooms. I have absolutely no schedule on when I clean. Most of my cleaning gets done on Sunday because that's my day off. I try to do one load of laundry a day so it doesn't get behind. The kids are responsible for their own rooms and laundry. (I wash it but they have to fold it and put it away). I know I'm a mean mom.
Jon and I share the rest of the household and yard duties.

Shelley November 19, 2008 at 10:39:00 AM CST  

my kids have to put away their own clothes and towels, and clean their rooms and playrooms. I do have them do some other chores, but not a ton. I want them to have to help, to learn responsibilities, but I have issues with putting too much workload on them.

Rosjuane November 19, 2008 at 12:43:00 PM CST  

Mine is everyday, laundry, picking up, kitchen. Ashlyn has to fold up clothes and put them away and I let her wait till there is a basket full before. The only thing I fold is towels out of the dryer. She also has to unload the dishwasher from time to time (not often) and clean her room, but I do all the major cleaning in there. I have started making Garret pick up his room too. Brad does the yard and cars when he's not working 100 hours a week. He also does trash half the time. I don't have a set schedule on anything. I have a pet peeve about the bathroom being clean. I can't stand a nasty bathroom. I'm not a clean the kitchen at night girl (gasp) after I sit down with supper I'm off. I do clean up while cooking but plates and stuff are usually left till morning. Vacume once or more a week. Sweep everyday mop once or more a week. I make my bed just about everyday but not the kids. I don't do it and they don't either. I wash sheets when I can not enough though. Dust once or so a week. Crap I can't think. Once a week I get in and really clean. It just happens whatever day I get tired of looking at my dirty house. That's about it. You may come to my house on any given day and it will either be clean or it won't it just depends on what was going on that day. But I don't live in filth.

Anonymous,  November 19, 2008 at 3:02:00 PM CST  

I dont do a thing...LOL.No,really.

But thats just temporary.In actuality,its driving me CRAZY.We do everything as needed.If the kids mess it up,they clean it up.My hubby has always helped do the chores,we were set up on a whoever sees it needs to be done,does it type situation-with most things.I have never done any of the outside work,though.Bad bad allergies,but besides that-he just loves to do it apparently.And the kids are inheriting that as well,they randomly just pick up a rake and start going at it.I am the organizer,the planner etc.I ALWAYS did the bathroom,Lovely K does it right now.Bathroom isnt his thang'.Kids do their own rooms,if Daddy can stand for it to NOT be perfect,otherwise he is in there helping.Kids just recently started folding and putting away their own laundry,I did that before.Hubby NEVER folds clothes,its actually a going joke by people who come over often.Kids are helping more now of course than normal,but I dont think that will kill them...LOL.

Tracie Jones November 19, 2008 at 3:03:00 PM CST  

We share the house work. We both do what needs to be done. His schedule is more flexible than mine so sometimes he will do more laundry than me but it depends on our schedules. The kids unload the dishwasher. Z is now 5 and he does the silverware and H (10) does the rest. They both help with laundry as well when needed. I think it is important to teach them now responsiblities. H is usually responsible for wiping down the bathroom sink and making sure it is cleaned up.

Piece of Cake November 19, 2008 at 3:10:00 PM CST  

Here's a story to tell you just how often Jon does laundry. One morning he needed socks. So of course he comes to me to see if he has any clean socks, I say "yes hun, they're in the dryer". A moment later he comes back to me and says "no they're not. I can't believe I don't have any clean socks!"
So, I go to the dryer, pull out a pair of socks, and take them to him. He says "where did you find those?" I said "IN THE DRYER".
Apparently my dear husband didn't know the difference between our high efficiency washer and our high efficiency dryer.

Jaime November 20, 2008 at 1:15:00 PM CST  

Oh lord...please don't let Shelley 'the clean master' come to my house...she would freak....hahahah BUT I work full time...I wish I could stay home. My house is not that clean. I try tho..

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP