Thursday, November 13, 2008

I love Christmas shopping.

Now before anyone gives me the 'reason for the season' speech, I don't need it. I am completely aware that it isn't supposed to be a commercial holiday. But I still like that part of it, too.

I have gotten a lot of stuff done around town. Gift Shaker has GREAT stocking stuffer items for girls in, for less than two bucks. Really cute things that my kids will love. I am glad I got those before they were gone. Blake helped me pick it all out, and I think she got tired of me saying what all I wanted for myself! They also have awesome bird feeders in there. (Not your grandma's feeders, either, some really cool ones) I really get into trying to find the right thing for everyone I buy for. We buy for a LOT of people on my husband's side. A WHOLE LOT. But my sister in law is a shopaholic to the 100th degree, and she helps me out by picking up bargains that I can pay her back for. It makes it simple to get really good stuff for very cheap. We have a mountain of wrapping paper left in the middle of the room when the chaos ends. It's extremely fun.

Although I buy for a ton of family, I don't exchange presents with my friends. (And by the way, I am glad my friends ---like Rosjuane-- are willing to say "don't be buying me anything!!! so I don't have to worry about getting put on the spot when she hands me something. We don't do presents, haha. I also don't buy for my friends' kids either. I think this is unnecessary, and you never know where to draw the line. J takes part in a fun ornament swap, but that's all we get into with gift buying. Lord knows that child would want to buy for 15 people if I let her. I think it's insane to spend a lot on kid birthday gifts too, though, so this makes sense if you already knew that. I am a 10-15 bucks MAXIMUM spender for kid birthday parties. (And if we don't get to the party, we don't send a gift either, gasp!) Spending more than that, on a kid that isn't related, borders on showboating. I don't want my children to get presents from others that cost more than I am willing to spend myself!

I have 2 nieces, and 2 step nieces, and one nephew; & 5 great nieces and nephews on the husband's side.....one niece on mine. I have two brothers in law, three sisters in law. My parents, my brother & his parents. So, a grand total of: 21 to buy for, not counting my own kids and husband. Whew. I gotta get on the ball don't I? Seriously, we have a spending limit, and it really isn't that hard to handle it when I have such a thrifty-deal-finding sister in law. She can make ten bucks go a loooooong way.

So have YOU gotten started buying yet???

12 comments:

Melissa November 13, 2008 at 5:19:00 PM CST  

Yep! I'm completely done! YAY! I'm going to start wrapping gifts this weekend. I try to get started early so it won't be so overwhelming the closer it gets. I've had everything done a/b 2 weeks ago. I even have my christmas trees up and decorated

Cassie Burke November 13, 2008 at 5:46:00 PM CST  

YESS! I started back in Sept!! I went to LR today and got some awesome deals! I THINK I'm pretty much done with the kids.I have one or two more things each that I want to get but for the most part I've got it all! I am so excited!!! I'm just ready for Dec to get here and hubby to get home so we can go shop togehter! This is the ONLY time of year that I really LOVE LOVE LOVE shopping!!

Mom of these kids November 13, 2008 at 6:24:00 PM CST  

I haven't bought the first thing, and we are SERIOUSLY talking about sending our Christmas cards out for Thanksgiving, and then skipping Christmas. Meaning, tell everyone we are not exchanging gifts, and using that money to take a family trip to Branson. We have already told the kids we are cutting way back for Christmas, and they are excited about the Branson idea, so we shall see.

I really have a short Christmas list anyway, but I just don't have one bit of desire to buy any Christmas presents. This is so unlike me. I was kinda like that last year too, but before that, I would get SUPER excited about Christmas every year.

Shelley November 13, 2008 at 6:45:00 PM CST  

when my kids are past "santa" age, we are going to have Christmas in Colorado sometime in the next few years, and I can't wait!

Melissa November 13, 2008 at 7:28:00 PM CST  

that's what we're planning on doing too. Justin is past the santa phase but Annelise still believes. But we've only got a couple more years for that I'm sure. I just think it would be awesome to go somewhere w/ lots of snow.

Mindy November 13, 2008 at 8:09:00 PM CST  

Hello shoppers anonymous.. My name is Mindy and yes, I started my Christmas shopping two months ago.

Anissa Jo November 13, 2008 at 8:32:00 PM CST  

If I had that many to buy for I would be so freaked out right now! Glad you have help from your sister in law!
I've got 2 things so far but much more to go..

GREAT NEWS about your dad! I'll have to call your mom soon.

bowling1 November 13, 2008 at 10:10:00 PM CST  

Thanks to a nice commission check I've already started Christmas buying. I've NEVER had gifts this early. This is also the first time that I've bought this much over the internet. While I love buying gifts in my lounge clothes I am still looking forward to the family shopping day in December.

Jessica D. November 13, 2008 at 10:13:00 PM CST  

Very nice! Love the new look! Drea does a great job! A talented little pastors wife she is!

Anonymous,  November 13, 2008 at 11:00:00 PM CST  

I love the new look too.

We have started,but we have a LONG way to go...We have a ton of family members to buy for as well,and I dont buy anything or vice versa for my friends either.We will buy a little here and a little there probably right up to Christmas.

Andrea November 13, 2008 at 11:21:00 PM CST  

I love Christmas shopping too...but I hate the busy stores! So I plan waaaay ahead (if I can!) and try to shop in Oct. or a bit earlier already to beat the christmas rush!

The Perry Family November 14, 2008 at 9:29:00 AM CST  

i'm almost done except for my hubby and a few bigger things for the kids..this is due to having no place to store the stuff right now. i have to start in like august or september as chris' family is gigantor too and everybody buys for everybody. we tried the whole drawing names thing and that was not fun, so we are back to buying for everyone. chris and i together have 6 nephews, 7 nieces and a great nephew plus their parents. we have wrapping paper ball fights during the opening of presents at my in laws'! :)

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP