Friday, October 24, 2008

in need of a boost

for my photography business.

Any suggestions?

I really don't like depending only on Michael's income. For those that don't know, let me break it down. Michael gets paid ZERO salary. Not one penny. If he doesn't sell cars, he doesn't make money. It is a 100% commission job. As everyone knows, the economy is pathetic, and that is especially hard on a car salesman. This factor makes it especially hurtful when friends don't at least give him a shot at getting them the vehicle they are in the market for. All dealerships pay the same thing for the cars, therefore Michael is capable of giving you as good of a deal as anyone else.

So, since we never know what each month will bring, I would like to be able to help supplement our income with a fairly consistent amount of cash, even if it isn't much. If things don't pick up soon, I may end up looking for a part time job. I would only consider jobs that would leave it possible for me to pick up my kids from school. I have 6 years of experience with fiber procurement/logger payroll/stumpage payments; and general bookkeeping and typical office duties, if anyone knows of anything that might work for me.

With Christmas coming up, I would really like to have a little extra income!

3 comments:

Fairy Ellis October 24, 2008 at 3:13:00 PM CDT  

Hi Shelley,
I haven't had a chance to tell you yet that Jace's pics were just adorable! We are so pleased.
I totally get what you are talking about on the extra income. My husband's business is construction related (custom cabinets) so when the building business is down, our income suffers. I have been at my job for a little over 20 years, and even though I bring home a decent paycheck, I have considered taking on a second job. I would absolutely love to have more pictures made of the baby, and if the econony was better, would be calling you to schedule, but I am probably going to have to be satisfied with what I have. And normally, I would be in the market for a car right now, but until things loosen up, will have to make it with one of the three vehicles we already have. I think a lot of people are in the same boat. I am pretty open about the way things are for us for the time being, but a lot of people may be even worse off, just not comfortable talking about it. I just mentioned on my blog that our Christmas is going to be scant this year - adults probably won't exchange gifts to make sure the kids in the family have what they are used to. I know that the bonus I get this year will probably be spent on bills instead of gifts. We are still fortunate that we are healthy and, basically, have what we need. I'm trying hard to remember to be thankful, instead of resentful for not being able to spend on extras. It's a challenge for me - lol!

Fairy

Mindy October 24, 2008 at 4:58:00 PM CDT  

They always have part-time accounting positions open at the hospital, but considering the drive you may not want to go that way. Let me know if you do. I can give you an excellent reference. I had people fighting for me to stay when I ended up leaving. ;-)

Jenn October 25, 2008 at 4:26:00 AM CDT  

Hi Shelley,

I'm not sure how you are marketing yourself out there for your photography business...if it is only word of mouth and blog...perhaps you could get into some new doors through a BNI group locally, where you could even do some commercial photography...business portraits or for schools, and even of architecture, furniture or other products. My photography friend from back home, Shawn is doing more of this for companies along with her portrait photography that is pretty much word of mouth too...just an idea. http://www.bni.com/

I can totally relate to what you are going through. My husband used to work for Jeep Chrysler Dodge, and it was feast or famine...this was yrs ago when bus was better, and it still got rly tough for our family on commission only. You hang in there and God will lead you in the right direction for your family. It may be by way of business increasing for you in the work that you love doing with your photography. I'll be praying for you and your family...(really, like right now I will pray =)

Blessings, jenn

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP