Thursday, October 2, 2008

Blown away

I have been stressed out all day about the death of Dave Parker. He was pretty much always known to me as my boyfriend's brother in law. After Gage passed away, I have kept a good relationship with all of his family, and I NEVER see any of his sisters without getting a big hug and an "I love you" that is so genuine I cannot explain it. His parents are great people, too. Considering them facing this huge obstacle once again, of losing someone so dear to them makes my stomach hurt, and my heart ache. Dave was a wonderful daddy that loved his son, and worshipped his wife. When I was told this morning that he had died, memories instantly came flooding back from my last Christmas with the Usry's, (Dave's wife was an Usry) of 1995. That was the year Dave got Tina, his wife, a fire engine red firebird. And boy was that redhead gorgeous sitting in it. He glowed, watching her smile over that car. They were that kind of couple; that just made you grin to see them together.

I told my daughters today what happened to Mrs. Tina's husband. My girls know about Gage, and understand I have a connection there. They also love Mrs. Tina because she is the art teacher at MES. My oldest was instantly quiet. It didn't make sense to her. I could see her getting upset. Then, her eyes lit up a little, and she said "Momma, I think all we can do is pray for Mrs. Tina, I don't think there's much else to do." I was blown away by the simplicity, yet truth, in this eight year old's statement. I am sure, without a doubt, that she thinks this way because of her father. He diligently prays with them every single morning. I admit if it wasn't for him, the only prayers my kids would take part in would probably be over meals. I am quite in awe of the fact that my children know the only thing to do is turn to Him. Nothing else will help, in the words of a third grader....and she is correct.

I will do better to make sure that my husband is not the only one to pray with my daughters. And I will thank him tonight for instilling his prayer led ways into my kids. Any dad that doesn't raise his children to pray, and be reliant on God, isn't doing his kids justice. And I, as a God fearing mother, had better learn to do better.

Much love and prayers to the Parkers, the Usrys, and anyone that is feeling the huge loss caused by the death of Dave Parker. You will be missed, as you take your place among so many that have gone before you....

3 comments:

Blake October 2, 2008 at 10:47:00 PM CDT  

My thoughts and prayers will be with Dave's family and friends.

dean October 3, 2008 at 2:41:00 AM CDT  

my dentist's wife told me about this thursday morning when i came to monticello for my dental appointment. there was also a man in the office whose son had passed away due to a long battle with cancer a year ago yesterday. there just aren't words to describe the sadness i felt upon leaving that office. naturally, people die every day, and families and friends hurt because of it every day. but it just seems that the small community around monticello has had more than its share recently.

let's pray that folks support each other, lift up one another's burdens, and in the hustle and bustle of daily life, whether it be the commute to and from work or school, the long and sometimes aggravating lines in wal mart, or on the sports fields all around the area, that folks remain ever mindful that the person next to, in front of, behind or across the field just may be carrying the weight of the world on their shoulders that particular day.

pray without ceasing.

Mindy October 3, 2008 at 8:02:00 AM CDT  

*Thinking about them and everyone in Monticello right now.

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP