Tuesday, September 2, 2008

John McCain

An interesting debate regarding Obama and McCain is linked here.

These are some reasons that I prefer McCain to Obama:

McCain:
wants to secure the borders first, prosecute "bad-actor" employers, meet labor needs, address the undocumented workers and eliminate the family backlog for people wanting to become legal immigrants.

is for expanding Domestic Oil And Natural Gas Exploration And Production

is Taking Action Now To Break Our Dependency On Foreign Oil By Reforming Our Transportation Sector

is for Investing In Clean, Alternative Sources Of Energy

is for Protecting Our Environment And Addressing Climate Change

is for Promoting Energy Efficiency

McCain supports the reversal of Roe v. Wade and will appoint judges with similar viewpoints. McCain believes the decision to legalize abortion should be decided at the state level.

McCain wants to improve school accountability and responsibility by establishing standards (No Child Left Behind) and allowing competition through school choice. I do think Obama's "updating" ideas for NCLB is a great one, and hope if McCain is elected he will see that "streamlining" certain students is in no one's best interest. Obama also supports more early childhood education. Assuming this means more government preschools, I do NOT support that. I think kids are "overschooled" and I think expecting tax payers to foot the bill for more and more preschool and pre K is wrong. Too many kids are bored in kindergarten from doing so many programs prior to age 5. (But Obama also says parents should accept more responsibility for educating their children at home, and I agree with that 100%. Neither of my kids did "pre K" and one made 99 on the Kindergarten entrance test, and the other made 100... Clearly I did okay on teaching them the basics myself.)

John McCain believes that insurance reforms should increase the variety and affordability of insurance coverage available to American families by fostering competition and innovation. This would be great, if it can be accomplished.
Reform the tax code to eliminate the bias toward employer-sponsored health insurance, and provide all individuals with a $2,500 tax credit ($5,000 for families) to increase incentives for insurance coverage. Individuals owning innovative multi-year policies that cost less than the full credit can deposit remainder in expanded health savings accounts.
Families should be able to purchase health insurance nationwide, across state lines, to maximize their choices, and heighten competition for their business that will eliminate excess overhead, administrative, and excessive compensation costs from the system.
Insurance should be innovative, moving from job to home, job to job, and providing multi-year coverage.
McCain would require any state receiving Medicaid to develop a financial "risk adjustment" bonus to high-cost and low-income families to supplement tax credits and Medicaid funds.
Allow individuals to get insurance through any organization or association that they choose: employers, individual purchases, churches, professional association, and so forth. These policies will be available to small businesses and the self-employed, will be portable across all jobs, and will automatically bridge the time between retirement and Medicare eligibility. These plans would have to meet rigorous standards and certification.

John McCain supports public health initiatives to stem the growing epidemic of obesity and diabetes, and to deter smoking. I am all for this as well.

McCain would like to cut Taxes For Middle Class FamiliesPro-Growth Tax Policy
Keep Tax Rates Low
Make It Harder To Raise Taxes by requiring a 3/5 majority vote in Congress to raise taxes.
Cut The Corporate Tax Rate From 35 To 25 Percent.
Reward Saving, Investment and Risk-Taking
Ban Internet Taxes (YAY!!!)
Ban New Cell Phone Taxes (YAY!!!)
Establish Permanent Tax Credit Equal To 10 Percent Of Wages Spent On R&D

McCain wants to Reform Social Security without raising taxes.
McCain supports supplementing the current Social Security system with personal accounts, but not as a substitute for addressing benefit promises that cannot be kept.
Control Medicare Growth by reforming healthcare
Improve education in order to make American workers globally competitive
Refocus unemployment insurance on retraining, relocating and assisting workers who have lost a job.
This post is just to share a few of the reasons I prefer one to the other. Do I think McCain is perfect? No. But I agree with his morals and his leadership more than Obamas on too many issues that are important to me. It's my right to believe that way, and it clearly yours to feel however you please. Let me say up front, I am not movable on my position. Feel free to comment in any way you would like that is not abrasive or unintelligent and your comments will be left for others to read. I won't leave comments up that say you are for or against EITHER for crazy reasons such as Muslim ties or lack of patriotism. I don't read those stupid email fwds discouraging our votes for one or the other, and there's no reason to post any of that garbage here. Also, belittling Bristol Palin or her mother will not be left on my page, so skip that, too. If you would like to post real facts regarding Palin's leadership ability as a governing body, go for it, but bashing her child won't be tolerated here.
It's wrong to vote for someone "because he has a woman running mate" or because "he could be the first black president" or etc. Get out there, do some research, and base your opinions on factual information.


"Our armed forces will fight for peace in Iraq, a peace built on more secure foundations than are found today in the Middle East. Even more important, they will fight for two human conditions of even greater value than peace: liberty and justice."
John McCain

"I am a Republican. I'm loyal to the party of Abraham Lincoln and Theodore Roosevelt. And I believe that my party, in some ways, has strayed from those principles, particularly on the issue of fiscal discipline."
John McCain

"Only the most deluded of us could doubt the necessity of this war."
John McCain

"Do not yield. Do not flinch. Stand up. Stand up with our President and fight. We're Americans. We're Americans, and we'll never surrender. They will."
John McCain

10 comments:

The Perry Family September 2, 2008 at 1:47:00 PM CDT  

You wrote everything I have been wanting to say, but didn't know how to say it. It is also important to me that he served in the Navy. I feel our President should be one that has served in the military and fought for his/her country. Who cares that her daughter is pregnant? At least she is keeping the child and letting it live and she is taking responsibility for her actions. I could care less about personal issues, such as this, in a political nominee of any kind. It infuriated me that so many tax dollars were wasted on whether Bill Clinton had any sort of relations with an intern...WHO CARES!!! As long as they run the country...I don't care. He wasn't the first one to cheat on his spouse while Prez and I'm sure he won't be the last.

Debbi September 2, 2008 at 1:53:00 PM CDT  

I really enjoyed reading this post. I agree with all of these points, especially the over school issues. Thanks for posting this. I might have to link it to my blog at some point.

Debbi September 2, 2008 at 1:55:00 PM CDT  

sorry to leave 2 comments, but I forgot to hit the email follow up button, and I would really enjoy reading the other comments left on this post.

Thanks too for always posting issues. I suppose I am too scared to offend - or get my ideas bashed by others. I love that you do this and use your blog for discussions.

Shelley September 2, 2008 at 3:35:00 PM CDT  

honestly I do care that Clinton lacked the morals he should've have had to keep him from committing adultery while in office, but don't think it was a issue worth spending so much money investigating. We expect our "Miss America" pageant winner to have exemplary behavior, yet we allow our politicians to slide? Kind of backwards, huh, that we "dethrone" Miss Americas....yet not presidents?

Drea September 2, 2008 at 3:38:00 PM CDT  

I'm assuming your for Mccain? :-) HEHEHE

I try not to get involved in politics. Im pretty ignorant when it comes to all that.. my husband keeps up for the both of us.. hes very much into this election.

bowling1 September 2, 2008 at 3:59:00 PM CDT  

Heather I am with you. Why was so much money spent on Clinton's personal issues? I truly believe that there was no "personal" difference between Clinton and JKF EXCEPT the press kept their nose out of JFK's personal life. Do I support what Clinton did NO.

Bottom line is Clinton lied to us about his relations AND Bush lied to us about nuclear weapons in Iraq. Both lied....one lie made us question a man's morals and one lie sent us to war.

Mandy September 2, 2008 at 4:09:00 PM CDT  

I definitely am for McCain. Many of the same reasons you listed are on my list.

The only thing I recall disagreeing with you about was the pre-K issue. While I also do school at home, I also take advantage of our fantastic preK program here. I think that attending a relaxed "school" was a perfect introduction into 'real' school for my children. Do ALL kids need it? Nah, I don't think so. But mine have LOVED it and other children definitely lack any sort of schooling before entering Kindergarten. Expecting a child to learn to read sentences in a few months in K is very unrealistic when you take into acct. many children cannot even recognize letters by that age. The ones that cannot often have parents that cannot or do not spend time schooling them. Being a SAHM has allowed me hours of time to devote to school and such with my kids, but I know others do not have that. So, I do want more PreK's... I think everyone should have that option. THey're going there or to daycare, a lot of them anyway, why not?

Great post. I love politics! Palin's daughter's teen pregnancy is a hot topic issue, but I think the family is doing a great job. If the daughter had chosen abortion the left wing folks would have applauded her for using her "right to choose" but her keeping the baby is frowned upon. How backwards... been there - lived that!

Mindy September 2, 2008 at 4:20:00 PM CDT  

I think it's irrelevant that they keep bringing Palin's pregnant daughter into the debate. Even Obama pointed that out.
I think it's great that you posted this for Mccain voters.
I am voting for Obama. Most of my reasons are long and drawn out and can be found on my blog.

Sarah Albin September 2, 2008 at 6:57:00 PM CDT  

I don't really follow the election stuff too closely because I get annoyed with all the mudslinging, etc. I really learned a lot from your post. I already knew that I was voting for McCain because I am a Republican, but thanks for letting me know I was making the right choice.

Shelley September 2, 2008 at 7:01:00 PM CDT  

Sarah, I know what you mean. Sometimes the name calling is like kids in high school... I do a lot of reading and research on politics. I also enjoy history. I think I inherited that trait from my dad. You can't complain about the world's leaders if you know nothing about them, and I want to know my stuff if I was to be unhappy with them!

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP