Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Disability.

My dad went back to the VA today to find out more about what his treatment options are. STUPID me thought, well, since the cancer is back again, he should be able to get disability. NO, I am wrong.

Since it has been 5 years since he worked, he can't get it. Well, the first time he had cancer (and had seizures, extensive chemo and radiation) he was denied for it. Not sure why anyone in on the decision making process would deny a man that worked 35 years at the same place some much earned disability pay. There was NO WAY he could work. He was deathly ill, and living in an extended stay hotel. It burns me up to see able bodied people abuse the disability check system. So many suck it up, only to go on and work for "cash" off the books, when people like my dad completely deserve it, but get told to find work in the type job he was accustomed to, which was being a computer programmer/systems analyst. Kind of hard to do that when you are sick as a horse and having some memory issues from the seizures. It's also hard for someone that is now 62, (then 57) to be considered a good candidate for hiring. No one wants someone over 50 with a history of illness!

I am all for a system that carefully screens aplicants to be certain that funds are not abused, but his case was a clear, cut and dried one: He deserved benefits. I know there are a lot of people that get it that truly need it, and I am glad that is possible. But if you are someone that thinks it's ok to milk the system when you could have a job, don't brag to me about ripping off the government, because I am NOT impressed! While I am on my soapbox, I will also say, that my dad has received nothing but the best medical care at the VA, BUT, I think it's crazy that vets (of all ages, from different wars) are put FOUR to a room in many cases when they are inpatient. I just don't think that's the way to do things for our armed forces. Even if you have a "private" room, you have to share a bathroom with the person next door. Way to take care of the troops, huh?

7 comments:

Jenny Sipes May 6, 2008 at 1:51:00 PM CDT  

I hate the system too...Jason once told me it took his mom like 5 tries after having numerous strokes and surgeries..I just dont understand...I hate that on top of everything you and your family are dealing with that ya'll are having to deal with this crummy system...I have been praying for you and your dad...didnt realize the seriousness of it all til I read a bulletin Becky G sent out today that you sent...I am very sorry to hear about all this news...If you need anything and I mean anything let me know...

Anonymous,  May 6, 2008 at 2:13:00 PM CDT  

I totally understand & sympathize. My dad went through the same thing when he was diagnosed with some major heart problems. It makes me sick that some people cheat the system & get what they clearly do not deserve & people like your & my dad can't even get basic disability.

The Perry Family May 6, 2008 at 3:19:00 PM CDT  

I work in the Social Service dept. of the hospital and 99% of the folks that apply for disability get denied the first time. You have to try every 6 months. If your dad has even worked 1 min. in the past year, it will be denied automatically. We once had a lady that had not worked in 9 years and tried to go and work..she worked for 30 min. and that got her denied. It really is a messed up system. Have you tried signing up not only through social security, but medicaid also? You can apply for both and both may deny you or even if social security denied you, the medicaid review team might accept him as disabled.

Shelley May 6, 2008 at 3:23:00 PM CDT  

well, honestly, he can survive without it. He worked very hard his whole life, and invested money, so they won't starve or anything, I just think it's crappy to pay into that your entire existence and then not get to reap the benefits.

His VA bills are covered there, because of him being in the Army.

K.T. is Mommatude May 6, 2008 at 4:29:00 PM CDT  

I know...

I have a family member that had to get a lawyer to get disability.

I dont understand it.

Michael May 6, 2008 at 5:18:00 PM CDT  

It really pisses me off when I see people who are "too hurt" and "unable" to work that milk the system when people like your dad have legit claims to disability. I get even hotter when I see those milkers up town and in perfectly good condition and all you hear from them is "I'm getting on disability" like it's some kind of badge......

Anonymous,  May 6, 2008 at 5:21:00 PM CDT  

I truly understand where you are coming from. My husband has been in remission from two types of cancer for six years now. He has a good job, but is on his feet and on the go constantly. He has neuropathy in his feet where the chemo killed the nerves. He has shooting pains from his feet up his legs when he's on his feet alot. He continues to work and is one of the top salesman for his company. I see the pain and sleepless nights he goes through, but he never complains. If anyone should qualify, I promise you he should. But he swallows his pride and continues to work and tough it out. I admire him so much. We've lost alot because what we've been through, but I thank God every day just for him being still in my life. It bothers me to see people who could work and do something, but are on disability like you said "milking" the system. I personally know people like that that hunt, fish, and do all the fun things in life, but they can't work. It just doesn't make sense to me either. I will pray for your situation. I hope you will see a better tomorrow. God bless.

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP