Tuesday, January 22, 2008

oh no.

I am so distraught.
So is my child.

Jordan (unknowingly) brought me a note from school today. She said "we weren't 'sposed to read this, so here."

In this letter (dated December 19, 2007) I am informed my child's teacher is relocating. It goes on to say that the new person that will be teaching them will be at the school at 6 tonight for anyone that wants to meet her. (Tonight - does not equal Dec 19th, so I don't understand that one)
So, she is going from having a teacher that taught ME in school (and has over 30 years of experience) to someone that interned last year at Drew Central..... I am NOT anti first year teachers, but I do think this is wild, to throw a new teacher in the mix in the middle of the year. I know they "gotta start somewhere" but I don't like this! She is enjoying the great incentives with the AR reading program with her current teacher, and is upset enough to cry. She has literally been crying for 15 minutes. No amount of "you are going to like your new teacher" talking has helped. She is now in the bathtub, cleaning up her face.
Obviously it is no one's fault that she is moving away. These things happen. I understand. The school is doing what needs to be done to keep things running, and I am sure it will work out fine. Plenty of people thought I was crazy to want a certain young, fairly new teacher for Jordan when she was in kindergarten, and she is possibly the best one we have had yet! New doesn't = bad, and I know it. I just don't like change!! Especially in January, three books away from her reaching 100, when she is soooo excited about getting a book for a prize from her teacher.

It says a lot for our public school teachers, when it brings my kid to tears when hers leaves!

9 comments:

Blake January 22, 2008 at 4:05:00 PM CST  

Oh, no...poor Jordan. I hate that she is so upset, but I understand why she is....hopefully things will work out with the new teacher and Jordan will love her...

dean January 22, 2008 at 4:08:00 PM CST  

i can relate. in 6th grade my favorite teacher ever p to that point) moved to another school in mid-year, and i took it pretty hard. i think i missed her for a completely different reason than jordan is going to miss her teacher, me being not the hardest working student, and my teacher being rather young and quite pretty (yeah, we were just arrogant enough to believe at 11 years old that our teacher was a potential romantic interest:p) on top of all that, we got an evil crone for a replacement, but we managed to survive and even promote to 7th grade.

i know if you told your kid that story it wouldnt make her feel a bit better, but anyway, for what it was worth.......

Jill January 22, 2008 at 5:04:00 PM CST  

If tonight is the night to meet the new teacher, maybe you can talk to her about continuing the same incentive for the reading program, and let her know how excited about reading this has Jordan. I got like this myself when Allie's teacher had to leave Jelly Bean. BUT, I totally love the new teacher as much as, if not more than the old teacher. I'm sure she will love her teacher!

K.T. is Mommatude January 22, 2008 at 7:44:00 PM CST  

When I was in the 4th grade my teacher Mrs Hickman left right after school started and I was petrified of the incoming teacher,Mrs Maxwell-I love her to this day,she was,is and always will be my favorite teacher of ALL time!!!

I do hate that that happens so frequently,I saw her race car tonight...thats too awesome and hopefully the new teacher will continue that.

karen January 22, 2008 at 8:03:00 PM CST  

I hope that the new teacher is a breath of fresh air to all the students in Jordan's class. I remember the other side of the coin...being that new teacher at a middle school. It was February 7, 1966. The physical education teacher at the middle school left for Colorado to join her husband who had just been released as a POW in Viet Nam. I had graduated on January 28 & got the job. The staff & students welcomed me & it ended up being a perfect place for me to start my 34 year career of teaching & coaching!

Amy January 22, 2008 at 9:25:00 PM CST  

Ok, so I started teaching, straight out of college, in March in a classroom where the teacher retired early to take care of her husband. It was a wonderful experience for me as a teacher (taught me a lot about classroom management, b/c these kids were TRAINED) and it was good for the kids too...new ideas, fun, energetic teacher... I hope it will be fun for you and Jordan!

Rosjuane January 22, 2008 at 10:18:00 PM CST  

I hope that the transition is good. Hopefully the new teacher will continue with the the same things at least for the remainer of this year and build herself up so that next year when she changes thing a bit you as a parent will tell the other parents how wonderful she handled things.

Laken January 23, 2008 at 9:19:00 AM CST  

I hope this transition occurs smoothly. I used to get "addicted" to my teachers, if you will, so I can understand her pain. Keep us updated.

Mom of these kids January 24, 2008 at 11:03:00 AM CST  

I hope it works out for you like Amy said...it will be an easier transition for the new teacher! I hope Jordan likes her new teacher, I am sure that is SO Hard for her!

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP