Thursday, November 22, 2007

our "other" grandma's house

We have a tradition of going to Mrs. Melba's for supper on Thanksgiving night. This is something we all look forward to, but Michael more than anyone. He loves all the "old" quirks about Mrs. Melba's house that remind him of his grandma's houses. Neither one of us have any living grandparents left. So....we have adopted Mrs. Melba! It works out really well, since she will welcome anyone into her home that any of her guests may drag along with them.

I love her old floors and her screen door. It makes me remember all the fun times at my grandma Beaty's house. We are so lucky to have somewhere like this to go on the holidays. Other guests include my parents, and my aunt and uncle that live in Wilmar as well.




These are the kind of doorknobs that my grandparents had, too, which of course you rarely see anymore.




My kids love the handmade afgans too. Mrs. Melba's mother, Mrs Lilly (who has passed away) used to make my crocheted stuff all the time when I was a kid. She was like an extra grandma, too, since she and my real grandma were good friends and we all went to church together at Wilmar Baptist.




They enjoy the crayons and coloring books always stocked under the tv.....






King Edward cigar boxes........memories memories! I have seen these store crayons my whole life!




We also had time to visit with Mr. Edsel and Mrs. Audrey, also from church. Mrs. Audrey kept ME in the nursery when I was a baby. She also kept MY kids.
Gotta love good ol' country traditions! We are blessed to have Mrs. Melba in our lives, and ended up with a Thanksgiving no one could top!


(excuse the poor quality of the cell phone pics!)




4 comments:

Anonymous,  November 23, 2007 at 4:06:00 AM CST  

shelley said: "excuse the poor quality of the cell phone pics."
spoken like a true professional! glad to see you guys had such a great thanksgiving...

Mom of these kids November 23, 2007 at 10:41:00 AM CST  

I really enjoyed this post. So many of those things remind me of my grandmother's house. She has those doorknobs, and old cigar boxes of crayons,...and my other grandmother had one of those same puzzles!!

K.T. is Mommatude November 23, 2007 at 11:41:00 PM CST  

The older houses has such charm,wonderful!!!!I love the hardwood floors!

Anonymous,  November 24, 2007 at 9:03:00 PM CST  

I still find myself intriqued by your blog... One thing is for sure, the crayons in the cigar box must be more common than I ever imagined!!!

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP